Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBrock

Reaction score
I bottled an AG dunkelweizen this evening. I was ill prepared (I really shouldn't try these things after a day's work) and did not have enough dextrose for priming. So I made up the difference with DME....long story short, I think I added too much DME & dextroses. Assuming that the bottling volumes are cumulative (based individually on the weight of dextrose and DME added) I'm looking at a carbonation level of about 5 volumes.

I'm thinking that I might let it sit for a week, remove the caps, and re-cap to prevent bottle bombs. If I did that, any idea how much carbonation that would leave me? At this point obviously I'm not concerned with carbonating to style.

Thanks,

Mike

Provide your volume of beer and weight of DME and dextrose so we can calculate your carbonation. Did you bulk prime, or prime each bottle individually? I think if you remove the caps, you are shooting in the dark as to what will happen. You might consider RDWHAHB. :)

It turned out to be 5.25 gallons of beer. I bulk primed, adding 180 grams of dextrose and 120 grams of light DME. I checked 3 or 4 priming calculators and although there was a surprising amount discrepancy between them, it seems to roughly be 3 volumes from the dextrose and 2 volumes from the DME, putting me at about 5 volumes.

I read a post in another forum stating that the regular 12 ounce brown beer bottles can only take 3 volumes of carbonation, which I find hard to believe. It that were true no body would be bottling hefeweizens. But can they take 5 volumes? If I were take the caps off at say 1 week and immediately replace with a new cap how much carbonation would I lose really? I would expect the carbonation in the liquid to take a while to diffuse out, longer than the time the bottle was uncapped. I'm definitely spending to much time fretting over this.

Lacking further input, I think this is my current plan. Assuming (and it's a total guess) that bottle carbonation is a fairly linear process and takes 3 weeks, I'm going to open all of the bottles at 4 days into conditioning and let them sit a while to de-gas. Then I'll recap. If the process is indeed linear then that would leave me with 80% of the carbonation and 4 volumes.

Total crackpot idea?

Back