Too Much Oatmeal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
My oatmeal coffee stout was brewed on 11-18 and bottled on 1-6. I've been setting a 12 pack in the fridge for a week and trying one, but none have turned out right at all. I allow them a week in the fridge. My partial mash went well so I'm inclined to think it's too much oatmeal, which was 2 1/4 lbs for a 6 gal batch.

My mash was a little over an hour and kept between 150-160*.

4 lbs golden light LME (FO)
2 1/2 lbs 2-row
1/2 lb C 60
1/2 lb C 120
1/2 lb chocolate 350
3/4 lb roasted barley
2 1/4 lbs oatmeal
6 oz carafa I special
3 oz carapils
0.2 lb wheat DME
1/2 lb rice hulls
US-05

I didn't know making a starter was bad when using dry yeast, and I stole some of this packet to make a small test batch, which is what the o.2 lb of wheat DME is (I toss it all in).

I was in the hospital while this was fermenting and SWMBO isn't on it like I am, and so the temps swung a bit, and eventually I found I had a stalled fermentation. I poured a little brown sugar and gave a gentle stir to get it working again.

I noted that my FG was much higher than it should have been despite what I tried (.007 points high).

It doesn't taste good and has no carbonation to speak of other than a little fizzle…

I've pulled this 12 pack and didn't replace it. I figure I'll give an additional week of conditioning.

That's about 17% oats, which many would call too much. I have found my happy spot with oatmeal stouts to be about 10%.

You do say though that it doesn't taste good, but how does it not taste good? Oily, sweet, something else?

It was noted as overly sweet a week ago. Sickly sweet, which the FG numbers hint at. But this week it wasn't quite as overpoweringly over sweet, but just blah. After several swallows I poured it out...

It's supposed to have a coffeeish taste. NOTHING like that though.

If it didn't ferment out completely and bottle carbonation is also low, could it be that your yeast dropped out early? It might explain why both those things are happening.

They did drop out, but I roused them up with some brown sugar, a stir, and room temp.

They didn't create bottle bombs. That would be enough to prove they were done right?

I kept them in boxes then!

I suppose the yeast gave up after the sugar and swirl? That could explain the lower FG reading and lack of carbonation. But the taste? Just sweet and oatmealy?

Back