Too Much Hot Break ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolshipMike

Reaction score
I've brewed a handful of All Grain batches and after the last batch I thought I had it all figured out. Instead of the usual 10-12 pounds of grain I decided to test the limits of my equipment by mashing 20 pounds for a barley wine. I pulled out a small wort sample and it measured 1090 with a hygrometer at room temperature.

I put the wort into my brew kettle and got it to a nice hot boil before adding the hop pellets. Around the I added the hops a *TON* of egg drop soup looking stuff appeared like the size of golf balls all throughout the wort. I've never seen this before but this time I'm using a hop bag so the plant material didn't mix into the wort. Is this the hot break? Is this much material normal?

I started with about 7 gallons and boiled down to 5. After cooling the wort the material fell to the bottom. I was only able to rack about 4 gallons off of all the junk , none of which appeared to be hops.

hb1.jpg

hb2.jpg

I'm confused, did you boil 20 lbs of grain and the hops together? Did you use whole hops or pellets?

I have always used pellets, and they do produce a lot foam. I just throw mine in the boil and strain them after. I have never seen "golf ball " sized egg dop soup looking stuff. Did you happen to take a picture?

I have always used pellets, and they do produce a lot foam. I just throw mine in the boil and strain them after. I have never seen "golf ball " sized egg dop soup looking stuff. Did you happen to take a picture?

I've attached a couple pictures of me pulling some out with a ladle. Wish I had gotten some better pictures of the wort overall.

I've never seen that before. But then again, I have never bagged my hops. I just get a lot of thick foam and potential boil-overs. After the hot break though, the foam pretty much disappears. (It may be possible I have never reached a "hot Break") I get a nice rolling boil at about 215 to 220 degrees F.

So it's safe to assume that a bunch of that stuff moving around in the boil is fine? Wonder how come it hasn't happened to me before. Maybe it did but I just didn't notice because of the hops.

yeah, it's just break material. happens every time, you're probably noticing it more since there's no plant matter floating around with it. wait til you chill the wort, that $h!t'll look all sorts of weird when it clumps up after the cold break. i've seen it look like a clump of hamburger meat. :rockin::rockin: my last brew, it was stringy like old cobwebs before i racked to the fermenter.

Back