Too much heat for Safale US-05 Ale Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgil1

Reaction score
It finally got warm in San Francisco today. I think my garage probably got to 77 or 78. The yeast I am using for my fermenting IPA, Safale US-05 Ale Dry Yeast, shows its max temp to be 75 degrees. The temp is dropping, down to 74 now. It has been fermenting for 8 days already. I was going to dry hop in two days. This the heat ruined it?

Personally, I don't think it's ruined...most will tell you to take a hydrometer reading and see where you are at.

You may key word being MAY get some off flavors but ya never know until you try it.

Just one Brewers opinion though

The heat may give you so me off flavors how ever can you cool

I'll tell you something about 05,
it's hardy and it is a good, clean fermenter, meaning it will generally produce crisp, neutral flavoring. While it might have been stressed a bit, I would have hope that it will still come through for you.

Though if you had a friend with a basement, it would be better to get it in the 60's.

if it got that warm on day 8 I think youll be fine, post your results

Agreed. 8 days in should be close to reaching full attenuation, if it hasn't already. You may get a little off flavor, but I doubt it at this point.

Are you using a swamp cooler? If not, do it. Go to your local "sell's everything" store and pick up a rubbermaid tote. Next time you make beer, fill it with water, put the carboy in it, cover it with a t-shirt. It will keep the temp a lot more steady and even without adding ice, a little more chill. My house is often in the 70's during the summer; when I do this, the water alone keeps it around 65.

I pretty much with the rest of the crowd here. S-05 after 8 days, you should be fine. The temperature wasn't that crazy. I've abused the crap out of S-05 and still had it finish clean.

I wouldn't worry. In April/May I made a bitter with S-05 and didn't watch the temps very closely. It fermented in the high 70s the whole time and I am very happy with it.

Thank you for all the feedback! I'll post my results here once its done. I am looking at a few options for temp control as well. I have a RPi out in my garage next to my fermentor (bucket for this batch, have a 6.5 glass carboy I just bought too). The Rpi has a temp sensor on it and I am logging the temp every 5 mins. Next batch I plan on watching it more closely and comparing. I think I am going to do several batches with this Yeast and and just change the recipe a little each time(IPA).

Latest posts

Back