Too Much Go-Ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caldazar

Reaction score
Hey guys started my first batch of mead today and my scale for measuring out my Go-Ferm and Fermaid K decided to not work correctly. It measured in ounces and I couldn’t get it to measure in grams. Because of this I was worried that such a small amount of product wouldn’t trip the scale to measure much of anything so I was looking around for conversions of grams into teaspoons based off the weight of water. Well I used the “conversion” and dumped my Go-Ferm in the yeast starter and Fermaid-K in the must. While cleaning up I was looking at the packs and their total weight and feeling how much was left and started to worry that I may have added way to much Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K. I’m not to worried about the Fermaid-K as I was planning to use the TONSA method so I may have just added it all up front. I am worried about the Go-Ferm. Is there such a thing as too much Go-Ferm? Is there a way to fix it if there is such a thing as too much?

making a traditional 1gal batch using 4lbs cotton honey from a friend and lalvin D47.

Thanks for any help/advise!

Table sugar is 4.2 grams/teaspoon, but if you go with 5 grams/teaspoon you'll probably be OK.
Several years ago I bought a small ANVIL scale for brewing and its been well worth the $20 I spent.
I've been using TONSA protocol for a while now and my meads have gotten noticeably better. I also don't add any yeast nutrient at the beginning, I wait 24 hours for the first addition. Sorry, I can't remember where I got that tip, but it seems to work.
Some fruit may lower the PH below an acceptable level for the yeast, So I usually get the honey/water mixture fermenting good before adding fruit. You can also take PH measurements and make adjustments.

I’ve already ordered a scale to replace the one that doesn’t work. I didn’t read the TONSA protocol well enough and added the first addition of nutrients when I should have waited 24 hours.

I couldn’t find anything that said whether or not to much Go-Ferm can provide off flavors or something like to much nutrients can so I figured I would post the question here to make sure.
Thanks for the info!

Back