Too much cold break in my carboys.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gophilliesgo

Reaction score
I just finished a 10 gallon all-grain IPA. I jumped the gun and didn't wait until complete cold break occurred Oooops

I filled my carboys (at around 80 F), cooled them down in an icebath, and pitched the yeast.

Now at 62F, my carboys look like two shaken snow globes. Chunky stuff everywhere. I already have about an inch of sediment at the bottom of each carboy.

Does anyone have any tips to fix this situation or at least minimize the damage to my beer?

Thanks.

Patience. You'll be fine. Often, I dump the whole kettle into my fermenter and it looks like you describe. It will most likely settle out. If it needs a hand, cold crash or gelatin it, but you probably won't need to.
This:
P1070738.jpg

Came out nice and clear.

Thanks for the advice and the picture to back it up.

You said it cleared up? Didn't the beer show some signs of chill haze?

I don't care much about the clarity of my beer, only if the extra proteins/fatty acids would cause short or long term off flavors.

That is a tripel and it is a little darker so can't say it is crystal clear. But I have done Kolsch's before and they look all granular like that going in but come out see through clear.

don't worry its fine the yeast will eat it all up and it will get mixed up. chill haze can be prevented with a good cold rest. as for flavors you should be fine. i knock with a plate chiller and i like to see a good amount of chill haze.

Surprisingly, the 5 gallons with S-04 cleared up nicely compared to the 5 gallons with Pacman yeast.

Most of all, I was concerned with off flavors. Now I can sleep easier.

Thank you all.

Back