Too much coffee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syke0021

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first coffee stout this weekend. However, I'm concerned I may be planning on too much coffee. I'll be brewing my oatmeal stout recipe with an addition of cold brewed coffee at flame out.

In order to hit my target gravity (1.053), I plan to change my 60 minute boil to a 90 minute boil, then add a half gallon of cold brewed coffee at flame out to account for the additional evaporation. This should hit my gravity target, but is it too much coffee?

I'm fairly determined to add coffee at flame out, not secondary or kegging. My cold brew recipe is 264g of course ground coffee in a half gallon of water, cold steeped for 24 hours.

Your thoughts?

If you add it at flameout, the heat will undo the good that you will have done by cold brewing.

The amount of coffee that you're planning to use is about twice that which I used in the coffee porter I have on tap currently. 4oz of course ground cold brewed dark roast added at kegging gave a very nice, balanced coffee flavor without bitterness.

If you add it at flameout, the heat will undo the good that you will have done by cold brewing.

The amount of coffee that you're planning to use is about twice that which I used in the coffee porter I have on tap currently. 4oz of course ground cold brewed dark roast added at kegging gave a very nice, balanced coffee flavor without bitterness.

+1 , Same as BigFloyd said, I just tried using coffee grain (8 oz) instead of cold brewed coffee in my coffee flavor beer, to me it seems a bit light on the coffee flavor, but my wife loves it the way it is and since its her beer, she won't let me add any coffee to it.

Cheers :mug:

If you coarse crack your favorite Java bean and add it to keg/secondary/primary you will effectively be using your beer to cold brew the coffee. I added ~2 oz to one of mine and got rave reviews.

Vonrunkel did you add to secondary or keg and approximately cups wise how much is 2 oz I don't have a scale? Thanks

I added to secondary, and it is about 2/3 cup for 2 oz. Next time I might go up to 3 or 4 oz.... And next time might be this weekend. ��

And you should really get a cheapo scale man. I think I spent like $12 on mine, way more accurate than guestimating...

Latest posts

Back