Too much chocolate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
So this is my second time making this recipe.
3 lbs LIght DME
.81 lbs Amber DME
3.3 lbs Amber LME
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.25 lbs Chocolate
Except this time it was the bottom of the chocolate bag(finer milled and a little dryer). So my question is, does the finer Milled grain and the dyer it is result in a better extraction?? Like I said this is the second time I've made this and this batch has way more SRM and chocolate taste.

Well SRM can come from a variety of things. It could be a longer boil, a stronger boil, adding extract earlier in the boil. It could also be a change in perception, i.e., maybe it's just darker than you remember.

The finer milled grain may result in super-fine roasted particles that stay in suspension longer. I'd say just give it time and it will drop out. Even if it's a stronger flavor for some other reason, it will mellow with time.

And speaking of time did you notice this difference when tasting it from a bottle/keg? Or was this a sample tasting? And was there any difference in the time you allowed each batch to ferment?

The tasting was at kegging, not quite carbed yet but definitely more chocolate flavor and color. Same time as last. The last batch was great rite at kegging even though it was still flat. Everything was the same as far as process. I checked my notes, which I catalog regularly. The only difference was the chocolate malt which when I weighed looked like way more than it should have been. But I steeped it anyways. Wished I wouldn't have. Still good, but not great.

With small amounts of chocolate next time I encounter this fine dry grain, I should use less, Say a 1/3 or so to compensate?

Just age it out more. My chocolate stouts seem to mellow a ton after 6 months.

jd3 said:
Just age it out more. My chocolate stouts seem to mellow a ton after 6 months.

6 months! That's why I don't do beers that need a long conditioning. Wether great or good, it Wont last 3 weeks.
The more I brew the more I drink. Plus my friends love my beers. Im thinking about charging a cover charge.

Latest posts

Back