Too much break into the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
Today I made a half batch IPA. I am using a plastic carboy for the first time (doing buckets before).

I attempted to whirlpool and rack to carboy for the first time. Previously I always just dumped the entire contents of the kettle into the bucket. I do BIAB so I have a lot of left over hot and cold break.

Whirlpooling failed. I just did it by hand with my mash paddle and waited about 30 minutes. There was definitely a lot of clear wort sitting on top but the break just settled out evenly. I tried to siphon to the carboy but ended up dumping the whole thing.

Like a third of the entire volume in the carboy is break (pre-trub?). How do I fix this in the future? Will this be bad on this batch? Will it affect clarity?

It will compact further and won't affect clarity, other than possibly improve it. Don't fear the trub!

I agree. I always pour all the trub into the fermenter. A search turned up some for the practice and some against. When I tried it, there was no problem. And I don't bag the hops.

I agree. I always pour all the trub into the fermenter. A search turned up some for the practice and some against. When I tried it, there was no problem. And I don't bag the hops.

But isn't it possible you will lose volume of finished beer this way? All that trub absorbs liquid right?

But isn't it possible you will lose volume of finished beer this way? All that trub absorbs liquid right?

Given sufficient time that trub will compact down and return nearly all the liquid it absorbed. If you don't dump it into the fermenter, you lose all of the wort it absorbed.

Given sufficient time that trub will compact down and return nearly all the liquid it absorbed. If you don't dump it into the fermenter, you lose all of the wort it absorbed.

+1

Exactly. You're going to lose some volume to trub one way or another. If you put it all in the fermenter and let it compact, you'll stand to lose less when all is said and done.

Either way you will lose some beer volume. Whenever I transfer too much trub, I try and top it off to above 5 gallons. This way, I recoup some of the volume that was lost to the trub. I do the same when I know I am going to be adding a lot of dry hops as well.

If it really bothers you, rack your wort to the fermenter through a nylon filter bag or something similar. Then you can (in a sanitary manner!!!!) squeeze out most of the excess liquid.
(This also works for when you forgot to bag/spider your hops and they keep clogging the kettle valve.:D )

What shape is the bottom of your kettle or whirlpooling pot.

I have a brew kettle then a flat bottle taller less diameter pot I whirlpool in.

I screwed up my first whirlpool so don't feel bad. One day I'll have a nice brew kettle where I can whirlpool a hop addition and pull off with a valvle insted of racking with a cane.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back