Too much bicarbonate in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcatbrewing42

Reaction score
I moved to a new place and had no idea what was in the water. I knew it was from springs and a well and tasted good. I brewed a hoppy IPA and added a small amount of Gypsum as a guess. After brewing, I got some info from the State as to what is in the water. It's pretty soft.... CaSO4-12 Ca- 45, Mg- 26, Na-5, SO4 12, Chloride- 10 (all ppm). The kicker is 256 ppm of Bicarbonate. When I put that into BeerSmith 3 a note came up about "extremely bitter.". I kegged today and the beer looked great w good attenuation but the aftertaste is very unpleasantly bitter. Will this improve as it Carbonates and ages? Anything to fix it?
Another note: Beer Smith has very few water profiles, including nothing about Reverse Osmosis. Is RO water close to distilled for minerals? I could dilute my tap water with R.O. to reduce the Bicarb

RO is close to distilled in terms of purity. RODI (Reverse Osmosis / Deionized) is the same as distilled in terms of purity (both just get there via different mechanisms). I would treat RO water the same as distilled in terms of Beer Smith profiles. If you have an option to brew with all RO water, I would do that. The primary consequence of high bicarbonate is that your mash pH will be too high (i.e., closer to pH = 5.8 versus a more appropriate 5.4). Also note that alkalinity can be expressed in two different formats. One is as bicarbonate (HCO3); the other is as "Alkalinity as ppm CaCO3". Beer Smith uses HCO3. There is an approximate conversion to get from CaCO3 to HCO3 if need be.

RO is close to distilled in terms of purity. RODI (Reverse Osmosis / Deionized) is the same as distilled in terms of purity (both just get there via different mechanisms). I would treat RO water the same as distilled in terms of Beer Smith profiles. If you have an option to brew with all RO water, I would do that. The primary consequence of high bicarbonate is that your mash pH will be too high (i.e., closer to pH = 5.8 versus a more appropriate 5.4). Also note that alkalinity can be expressed in two different formats. One is as bicarbonate (HCO3); the other is as "Alkalinity as ppm CaCO3". Beer Smith uses HCO3. There is an approximate conversion to get from CaCO3 to HCO3 if need be.
Thanks. I did put a capful of lactic acid in both the mash and sparge water, something that I have been doing and getting better hop expression. If I use half spring water and half R.O. water, the bicarb gets closer to Beer Smith's recommended level.

Back