Too much attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
I just checked the gravity on my double ipa and it's at 1.010 from 1.080. 87% attenuation! I used a huge starter of washed 1056 and mashed at 148 for 90 minutes. I also used about 5% sugar to dry it out. I knew I'd come in low but 1.010? Is this just going to be an enamel melter

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It could be a lite pain killer! How does it taste? That is all that is important!;)

How is this a problem? I measured exactly the same amount of attenuation for my IPA last time using US-05 from Safale, it should taste great if you've properly hopped it. You won't see much FG on an IPA since, if you've done it right you've mashed for gravity and put in grains with little in the way of powerful flavor or unfermentable sugar, the hops are doing the heavy lifting for flavor not the malt. Keep in mind a couple of things here, first that the manufacturer's estimated attenuation is an average and not a maximum and secondly that the biggest determinant of your FG is time fermented and unfermentable sugars; IPA's use malt that is almost entirely fermentable, so you should see high attenuation.

Sugar increases apparent attenuation significantly. White table sugar is practically all fermentable and therefore decreases the density of the beer with ethanol. Other things you mentioned could be a factor, but the sugar is definitely the greatest contributor.

Just dropped 7 oz of dry hops in last night. Gonna be yummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back