too low f.g. why? fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofblairs

Reaction score
So I made an AG ipa
11.12 2 row
1# crystal 40
1# euro Aero
1# rye flaked
1# turbinado sugar (whoops )
.12# chocolate
Single infusion mash target 153
Grain /h2o ratio 1.5
6 gal batch.
What happened is that my tun was a bit cool so I ended up with a 140 temp. Boiled a gallon of water and added it which brought me to 149.
This gave me an og of 1.064. Not too bad. Pitched a 3 l starter of Pacman and it was on! 14 days later my hydro reading was 1.007!! Target was 1.016. The initial tasting was great hops, bitter, no real astringent notes but weak malt backbone to carry the hops/alcohol. My questions are...
1) Should I shut up and let it condition?
2) Did mashing too low make it too fermentable and strip the malt character?
3) Can I make a malt forward beer and blend it to try to fix this?

Malt forward and dry are not opposites. You can still have a malt forward beer that isn't sweet. In fact I prefer dry, malt forward beers to sweet ones.

It's the 11# of 2-row base malt that gives the weak malt backbone, IMO. It's a great base malt, just not "malty" like Maris Otter, Pale Ale or Munich.

iijakii said:
Maltodextrin.

^^This^^ you added 1 # of sugar which is 100% fermentable and did not make up for it, adding this would have added some unfermentable and created some additional body back to the beer and decreased the attenuation a bit

I like well-attenuated beers in general, so if I can hit single digits I'm pretty happy. YMMV and so on.

Back