Too Late to Start Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwshields

Reaction score
I have been reading up on various stout recipes and many call for 2 month secondary aging. Is this everyone's experience yo make a good stout or can I do a month in the primary and serve?

You can. You can also bottle and put 1/2 of them away until this time next year. I'd stick with something basic, and perhaps a little dry. A coffee type stout may work, as the coffee would help to mask the "young" flavor

I would just stick to something not too high in gravity (1.060 - 1.065 maybe?) and just bottle or keg after 3 weeks primary. Condition it 3-4 weeks and you'll be good to go!

Yoopers Oatmeal Stout is tasting just fine but a tad young at only two weeks from brew day. I bottled it all up and its in the wine cave aging. There is a second brew right behind it, another Yoopers Oatmeal Coffee Stout, and it cold crashes this Friday.

There is no wrong time for a stout. Imperial stout on a 95 degree day? Why not?

Ahnold says

20024028.jpg

I'd say let it age in the bottle rather than fermenter. Try one when it's aged a month and go from there. So 2-3 weeks ferment and then bottle for a month.

I've never paid attention to the "When to Brew" calendars.

My tastes don't change with the date. If I like stout, I like it in July the same I like it in December.

I primary mine for 2 weeks and keg it. It's carbed and ready in a week or 2. I have a stout on tap almost all year.

never too late for a stout. I love them all year long. But to answer the other question, i would let it age a bit. Its so much better after 2 months compared to one. And 3 is better than 2. and so on

Those are hilarious...is that you? Your too funny!

I have 2 case of 8 year old gently aged Bush in the sail boat your welcome too..:D

Oh, and I must ask, are you using this beer for ballast? Or has the boat been sitting on blocks in the front yard:p

Your sort of right on both....Its a long story..She took on 18" of water and it took 5 years to rebuild her. ( Boat yard Battle) The Beer was sitting in the reefer the whole time so sort of became ballast.:rolleyes: I just keep forgetting to toss it now when we out cruising.

IMG_1529.jpg

Your sort of right on both....Its a long story..She took on 18" of water and it took 5 years to rebuild her. ( Boat yard Battle) The Beer was sitting in the reefer the whole time so sort of became ballast.:rolleyes: I just keep forgetting to toss it now when we out cruising.
don't toss it. I'll review it.:rockin:

What would you recommend for St Patrick's day? I have 10 gallons of irish red already for kegs and wouldn't mind squeezing in another 10 gallons in honor of the Emerald isle...

I brewed a stout just over two weeks ago - 10 gallons I plan to keg this weekend and will begin to "sample" one keg through February and tap the second a week or so before St. Patrick's day. I don't brew stouts often but when I do I regret not doing so more frequently.

What would you recommend for St Patrick's day? I have 10 gallons of irish red already for kegs and wouldn't mind squeezing in another 10 gallons in honor of the Emerald isle...
how fast do y'all think you'll down the 10 you already have?

I brewed a stout just over two weeks ago - 10 gallons I plan to keg this weekend and will begin to "sample" one keg through February and tap the second a week or so before St. Patrick's day. I don't brew stouts often but when I do I regret not doing so more frequently.

I used to brew a flocc ton of various Stouts and Robust Porters. I should get more back in the line.

Lol. wanted to have an irish stout also. just didn't know if it would have enough time to condition by St. Patricks day.

I have had a stout on primary for 3 weeks and it's now just down to 1.025 and I don't think I'll ever get my carboys back. When will it be safe to bottle if I expect it to drop 10 more points?

Lol. wanted to have an irish stout also. just didn't know if it would have enough time to condition by St. Patricks day.

Its 2 months away. Thats tons of time for a 1.040 beer. Or just add green food colour to whatever pale beer you have on tap at the time.

Its 2 months away. Thats tons of time for a 1.040 beer. Or just add green food colour to whatever pale beer you have on tap at the time.

*shudders* why, man?!? why?!?

let's not get started on Plastic Paddy Day already. all the college kids just got over being "German" for Oktoberfest.

Guess I'm late to this party but I plan on brewing a wootstout clone next and then quickly after that a 1 gallon rum runner (with coconut and cacao) . We're heavy stout drinkers. And while I love my IPA in the heat of summer, I am a stout drinker all year long! So I definitely feel it's never a bad time to have something taking up my one carboy for months and months and months! Lol

Well a medium sized stout shouldnt take up a primary for two months like mine did, it had a bad case of stuck fermentation. 3 weeks is well worth it for our precious black gold 🍺. After that bottling is your best bet for stouts.

The Beer Calendar thing almost reminds me of when i asked my mother what color I should paint my kitchen and she replied "grey is in this year"

Brew that stout!!!

I just picked up a new Nitro tap setup so it only seems appropriate to brew a nice dry Irish stout for spring

Back