Too late for Diacytle rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magarnigel

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to Belgium. I had my Oktoberfest, which I brewed 8/19, in primary while I was gone. I don't have a thief to pull a sample and check the gravity to see how low it has dropped.
My question is, do you think it is too late for a diacytle rest? I was reading that it says to do the rest when you get to about 75% of your target fg. I was planning to slowly ramp the temp up to around 62-64 and then let it sit at that temp for around 3-4 days. What does everyone think?

Do you have a turkey baster? Or a siphon? Probably worth checking where it is. Given the number of days, it might be at FG, or might be at that 75% sweet spot.

All the yeast has to have is to be active and those compounds to exist for it to eat them.

I have done my "rest" at basement temp "74 degrees" for 2 days. It started bubbling with-in about 4 hours as the liquid warmed up and released the CO2...

I have also read that if the diacytle is not to intense that when you RE-YEAST and Bottle/Keg and then leave it at room temp that this will also act as your rest.

My experiance is limited to brewing Kolschs and when I re-yeasted I used dry hefe yeast... not enough suger to affect the taste and the beer tastes very much like some Pilsners I have had....

Back