Too good of a deal on kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, that’s about right for used pin locks. Ball locks are typically more as they are more popular and have a pressure release valve in the lid, which pin lock do not.

Nope, that’s about right for used pin locks. Ball locks are typically more as they are more popular and have a pressure release valve in the lid, which pin lock do not.

Not entirely correct. Pin lock does have a pressure relief in the lid (even the linked kegs show this). But it does not, usually, offer any manual operation.

What @Hoppy2bmerry says ^

At $35 each, a fairly average price for Pin locks. I surely wouldn't pay more.
However, limit is only 2 at that price.
Flat shipping at $8 makes it attractive.

That is, if you want Pin locks...
They also sell Ball locks for $50 on the same special.

Over time I have bought a bunch of Ball locks off Craigslist for ~$40-50 each, but have seen them go for $30 or less too, and some people just want to get rid of them.

You can get new ones for $75, made in China, shipped from here. Or spend a little more and get brand new Torpedo Kegs.

https://www.kegconnection.com/pin-l...-keg-or-firestone-5-gallon-for-homebrew-soda/

I am newish to brewing and I am interested in getting into kegging my beer. Is this too good of a deal for these kegs?
That's been a decent price. Around black friday, they often go on sale for under $30. I prefer the pin locks over ball locks, but that's just my opinion. There are no accessories for the pin lock though, because Coke still holds the patent on the connection. If you get in to it and decide you don't like them, they sell conversion kits to switch them to ball lock posts. I would also suggest to that you go with the MFL quick disconnects, it makes the whole system more flexible.

Okay, thanks! I assume since they are Cornelius kegs, I can get Cornelius lids and post of any type to switch out in the further if I wanted to?

Okay, thanks! I assume since they are Cornelius kegs, I can get Cornelius lids and post of any type to switch out in the further if I wanted to?
Also, aside from compatibility (or lack thereof), replacement parts such as posts, poppets, and lids can run as much or more than the whole keg cost you.

I bought all of my kegs from KegConnection at ~$30 around Black Friday. Had issues with one that would not seal and they sent a new keg and lid right away. I’m very happy with their products and service.

I've been very happy with my KegConnection purchase as well. I got the beginners set with 2 kegs and longer, silver lines. The only issue I had is this year the oetiker clamps started leaking and had to be replaced.

Pin-locks are slightly bigger around, so you may have room in for fridge for more ball locks. Pin locks are slightly shorter, so you may be able to get them in a low-height fridge easier.

To me - they money saved on pin-lock isn't worth it. Accessories don't generally work with pin-lock, there is no manual pressure release valve, and if you decide to upgrade or quit the hobby, pin-locks are harder to sell. I see them languish on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace being re-listed over and over even though the price is around $30....nobody here wants them.

Like someone already mentioned, parts are expensive. If you want to modify it a lid and posts is going to have you up to what you would have payed for a ball lock in the first place - probably more.

Overall - I'd probably go with what works for your fridge size (focus on dimensions) if it matters and if pin locks fit better, save the money.

Not familiar with pin lock - never used them. But to the OP, Keg Connection is a great place to buy kegs at a reasonable price.

I’d get ball lock kegs.
Wait it out and you can get refurbished ones for $40-$50 online. Check Austin’s, or Adventure in Homebrewing in Indy.

CBFAD151-220E-4354-86F0-CCFE938390AE.png

Homebrewing.org
Plus you get 13% off site wide.

Some of the sites that sell kegs do not offer flat rate shipping. This includes new and used. I ended up ordering a new one from keg connection.
I have ordered kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing when they offered a flat rate on shipping and their used kegs were in relatively good condition with both handles in tact.
If ordering used kegs make sure to inquire if both handles are attached. The two i received from Keg Connection came with only one handle and makes it difficult to move around.
The functionality of the kegs were fine. I hardly use these kegs now except for storing sanitizer.

Better deal is to just buy brand new AEB kegs... https://www.morebeer.com/products/corny-keg-ball-lock-5-gal.html

No messing with replacing seals, worn out poppets, dents, stickers, poor fitting lids, etc. I've wasted soooooo much time cleaning kegs, and cleaning up from leaky kegs, than i've saved buying used.
I gotta agree here. Buy once cry once right? Look for a special (if you can wait). I got one of these aeb kegs and a new kegking. You can see, feel, & smell the difference (seriously- the rubber handles!).
Also, when you think about all you do to minimize bugs, eliminate oxygen, etc. then leave your beer for 30 days (or so) in the keg to me used is too scary. But many people here can vouch for used i bet.

If money is tight and you don't mind the elbow grease go used corny for the parts.
Somewhere on the this site i read that used corny's are starting to dissapear. Although for every person just getting into homebrew there's probably someone getting out, so check local used sites too.

Also, as mentioned above, gotta calculate shipping. That can kill a "great deal".

As far as used kegs go, if you have a soda distributor near you, you can generally get them pretty cheap. I work right next to a coca cola distributor and I can walk in and pick up used pin locks for $15/piece any day of the week. Some even have a gallon or so of beverage left in them(if you like that kind of stuff). They dont mind if i check over seals and poppits on the spot and will gladly run back inside and exchange one if I find something I dont like.

I work right next to a coca cola distributor and I can walk in and pick up used pin locks for $15/piece any day of the week.

I wouldn't mind being in your location for a few days... I like my pin locks and at $15/each, I'd own quite a few more. Of course, then I'd have to buy another old freezer and a temp controller, buy more ingredients, use more electricity and brew more. I would, however, have a pipeline to be proud of!

I have 8 pin-lock kegs, so I'm in it for good, but ball-locks really do seem worth it if only for the manual pressure-relief.

This is an OK and fairly normal deal for used Pin Lock kegs. Adventures in Homebrewing (homebrewing.org) is also offering them at $35. They do occasionally have "Loose Handle/Bottom" pin lock kegs for $27.99 and Ball Lock w/PRV ones for $30. They don't have either right now though. AIB does have a 13% off site wide promotion going this week, so you could get them cheaper. I have purchased most of my kegs from them and they have been good. Be aware of one thing, pin lock kegs do not have a PRV (pressure relief valve). Not a big deal you just have to bleed them after filling by pressing in the poppet on the gas line. A replacement lid with a PRV can cost $14 -$15, cheaper if you keep an eye on e-bay. Post conversion kits from pin to ball lock are $12, and you need to know the thread size. I have gotten rid of my ball lock kegs and use all pin lock kegs. I have threaded connectors so I can swap them out is needed. I also have replacement PRV lids for most of them.

Pin-Locks work great and there's a lot to love about the positive interlocking of the disconnects. Their shorter height lets me sit a keg on the hump in my keezer too. But if I were just getting into keg'ing, I'd choose Ball-Lock for the reasons posted on this thread.

And I'd pony up the cash for new kegs as well. The rubber on my old pin-locks has started to deteriorate to the point where black smudge will rub off on my hands sometimes. That and the separation from the keg is annoying. I've epoxy'd a couple that were really loose but its still annoying.

I've often thought about biting the bullet and switching to ball-lock and new kegs but its hard to lay down the cash when what I have now works.

Not entirely correct. Pin lock does have a pressure relief in the lid (even the linked kegs show this). But it does not, usually, offer any manual operation.
True they do have an emergency over pressure release, which could be called a valve. But the word valve typically means something you can open. When the vendors advertize them, they do say no prv as the accepted wording. Good info, but splitting hairs.

Skip every single thing on this thread and get a sanke keg.....that comes from someone who has used both....sanke wins on every level

^^^ best advise if you're not invested in anything yet. don't be afraid to just buy a pallet of them.

I'd be down with sanke if they were easier to clean.
THey never leak so they never get funky. I've had uncleaned untapped finished kegs in a spare room for 6 months and longer. When opened it was still under pressure and smelled as fresh as the day I kicked the keg.

To clean I simply take my shower head and shoot it in and swirl it around a few times. Couldnt be any easier. For a deep clean just fill keg with water and dump in some Oxiclean and let t sit a few hours....nothing to it.

I just had a sanke keg fail on me Saturday. It had a bad seal so CO2 was bleeding into the liquid stream and pouring pure foam. It's probably more rare, but it does happen.

Pin-Locks work great and there's a lot to love about the positive interlocking of the disconnects. Their shorter height lets me sit a keg on the hump in my keezer too. But if I were just getting into keg'ing, I'd choose Ball-Lock for the reasons posted on this thread.

And I'd pony up the cash for new kegs as well. The rubber on my old pin-locks has started to deteriorate to the point where black smudge will rub off on my hands sometimes. That and the separation from the keg is annoying. I've epoxy'd a couple that were really loose but its still annoying.

I've often thought about biting the bullet and switching to ball-lock and new kegs but its hard to lay down the cash when what I have now works.
Mask the SS and paint the tops and bottoms with cheap spray paint. This will seal them and they won't get all over your hands any more (and they will look great). I have done this to three with great results.

I've bought both used ball and pin locks and new ball locks and converted everything to ball
Lids are typically $15, and conversion posts are usually $10, and there are *SEVERAL* thread styles of pin locks over the years and I've found I have 3. I have had mostly good luck with used kegs but did have to buy some thicker O-rings for a couple feisty leaky lids.

Keg Connection is a great shop! They consistently offer some of the best deals on kegs, especially when you consider site wide flat rate shipping to most US addresses.

After looking at all the options (both new and used) I recently purchased 5 new ball lock kegs from AIH, three 5gal & two 3gal. They were $75 each. For that price it made sense to go with new kegs.

I'd never had my hands on one of their kegs, so I had to trust the reviews regarding the build quality. It was a good decision. They're well made, and have not given me any problems.

i have looked at all option - beverage elements has the best price BUT the worst shipping. AIH - shipping kills me as well. looked at Ebay, beverage factory, keg connection, morebeer, craigslist, and even Alibaba and aliexpress. best deal i was able to rope for serviceable ball locks was Northern brewer - 199 for 4, free shipping, no tax (CA) AND they throw in ring kits and oxywash. supposed to ship pressurized too.

i will let you know when they arrive next week!

Latest posts

Back