Today I Learned The Hard Way...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustBeZ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That bottling a Belgian to the rim is not a good idea. Luckily it was the garage ceiling and not the kitchen ceiling that took the brunt of the force.

ForumRunner_20121214_010145.png

ForumRunner_20121214_010136.png

I only did one because I had to fill with the auto siphon because my bottle filler stopped up with the dry
hops. I've heard before not to do this and should have just poured a little out when it got that full. But my lack judgement got the better of me. Definitely won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Anyone else have anything they just learned the hard way?

Wire nail on a string, tie it so that it looks like a T hanging upside down. Turn the nail parellel with the string, insert through hole in stopperuntil the nail hangs parallel with the floor again and pull. Then get a bigger stopper.

(Don't ask me how I know this, or how long it took me to figure out!)

Wire nail on a string, tie it so that it looks like a T hanging upside down. Turn the nail parellel with the string, insert through hole in stopperuntil the nail hangs parallel with the floor again and pull. Then get a bigger stopper.

(Don't ask me how I know this, or how long it took me to figure out!)

Exactly.

For the OP, that's why you should cork and cage in Belgian bottles. :D Even over-carbonated (or high CO2 volumes) won't blow that off. Well, if it's high enough to blow the caged cork :eek: it will probably break the bottle. Belgian bottles are tougher (IME) than standard beer bottles...

Things you don't want to learn the hard way: Don't stand next to a large man eating lots of beans (in any form). :eek:

Yeah if I do another Belgian and Carb it high I will definitely do that. Thing is this one was only 2.2 volumes and the rest in the batch aren't even fully carbed yet (whew) and that one blew cuz my ******* filled it all the way to the top. :)

Yeah if I do another Belgian and Carb it high I will definitely do that. Thing is this one was only 2.2 volumes and the rest in the batch aren't even fully carbed yet (whew) and that one blew cuz my ******* filled it all the way to the top. :)

Yeah, over-filling will do that. No space for the gas to collect, so it made it's own space... Falls under "live and learn" or "won't do that again"... :D

Latest posts

Back