Toasting Oak Before OR After Soaking in Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleewok

Reaction score
I've searched and haven't been able to find anything specific on this question (maybe I just missed it).

I have some JD oak barrel chips that I'm currently soaking in bourbon. I'm planning to toast them after they soak for about a week.

Typically I order my oak chips toasted, and then soak them.

What sort of impact will toasting after soaking have? Will I still get a good bourbon flavor?

Should I toast them and then soak them again for a couple days?

Does it really even matter?

Thanks!

I'm just speculating, but it seems to me that a lot of the bourbon flavor will be gone if you toast after you soak. Also, it gets rid of one of the main reasons for an extended soak -- sanitation. We soak in high-proof alcohol to sanitize, and by toasting you're driving off all that alcohol.

I would think, soaking, toasting, and re-soaking would add some character. Yes the acol from the first soak would be driven off, but some of the flavors from the bourbon would stay.. They could however be changed in a good or bad way. Then re-soak and add to fermenter.

I'll keep the bourbon that it has been soaking in, toast them, and then add them back to the bourbon for a couple days. Worst case I can always add bourbon straight to the keg to kick up the flavor if I need to...

Would it be a bad idea to add the toasted chips back to the bourbon that had already been soaking the oak (prior to toasting)?

Back