Toasting malt in the oven - presoak or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
I made the Lake Walk Pale Ale recently and it turned out great. The recipe called for two pounds of toasted pale malt. When I toasted my grains I spread them out on a cookie sheet in a single layer and left them in the oven for 15 minutes. While they toasted I could hear them popping like popcorn. I didn't presoak them.

Afterwards, I discovered that, prior to toasting, some people presoak their grains over night, remove the grains from the water, spread them out in a pan about 1/2 an inch thick then toast in the oven.

If you have toasted your own grain how did you do it?

Popping? Very unusual!

I simply put uncrushed whole grain spread out thinly on a baking sheet and toast them for 20 - 30 minutes or so. I think pre-soaking would give you a sweeter malt, closer to a crystal malt than an amber/toasted/biscuit malt.

Generally speaking, soaking grain for a full day is the best route for making Crystal Malts, not necessarily "regular" roasted malt. That's what I've done, at least.

And don’t forget to leave the Malt for about a week before using it to brew. There are compounds formed during the roasting that need to dissipate.

Back