To trud or not to trud...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugebooter

Reaction score
Hello,

I believe I may have some trud action in my latest batch of dark aleger. I say aleger because it started out as an ale but here in Bellingham we recieved a cold snap two days into fermentation and the temperature of my batch went down to around 50F.
My hydro readings were at 1.024 and holding steady. After some consultations from a fellow homebrewer I decided to add in some lager yeast. The krausen formed again nicely and my readings have been holding at 1.014 for the past week.
The only problem seems to be that some proteins seemed to have precipitated out of solution and are clunking up my beer.

Is there anyway to let these settle out? Or just leave it and go ahead and bottle?
Also, I've read that lagers can produce hydrogen sulfide compounds that take time to be re-consumed by the yeast, I don't smell any sulfur, in fact it smells quite like an ale, all esterlyicious!

Take well,
hugebooter

Note: When it was racked to the secondary it has stayed in the mid 50'sF

Are we talking about "Trub" or do you have slavick labourers in your carboys?

Makes a HUGE difference on how to clean up.

Not sure what you're saying. Are you meaning there's trub in your bottles? If not, what is "trud"? Or is it "turd" ;)

Cooling an ale doesn't make it a lager. Ale yeast won't ferment at cooler temps that lager yeast will ferment at. If your beer went down to 50F and stopped fermenting, then it's because the yeast got too cold, stopped fermenting and flocculated out. You need to warm it back up, swirl the fermenter gently to get some of the yeast back into suspension and get it to finish it's job. The lager yeast you added seems to have done it for you though.

Sounds like a chill haze, but that usually happens at lower temps than 50F. You could try clearing with some gelatin or cold crashing the beer before bottling.

Latest posts

Back