to train or not to train side shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPSareKEY

Reaction score
Hello,
I know this subject is brushed on in other threads, but all are somewhat indirect answers and speak to general situations. Im wondering what I should do in my case.

I have three 2nd year hop plants. (First year i have them). They are about 13 feet tall and are developing a ton of side shoots in the top half of plant.

Do I train these or let them be? I'm hearing training them will reduce hop production and I'm hearing letting them go can end up breaking them. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Think about what happens in commercial hop yard that spans acres and acres. You'll be fine if you let them be. The lower ones close to the ground can be removed for sanitation reasons (bugs, diseases). The majority of hop varieties produce the most of their useable hops on the upper half of the vines.

I'd let em go. They do all sorts of stuff on their own anyway. Some will wrap around the bine, double back on themselves, wrap around each other, just hang out, but best of all......make cones!

Like B-Hoppy said, the bottom 3 or 4 feet don't usually produce cones, so I trim those for better air flow and less mess at the bottom of the plant for bad things to hide in.

Back