To those who dry hop in kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've got a few stainless steel mesh tea balls and for the first time around I used pellet hops.

Now, I've only drawn off two brews but I'm getting particles of hops in my beer. It makes perfect sense but I didn't plan it out before hand.

Will I continue to get particles or will it eventually clog the filter?

Do you guys just use leaf hops?

Thanks!

More likely then not once the pellets dissolve the pieces of hop are too fine for the mess screen. For pellets u need a particular micron sized filter. If ur gonna stick with the mesh balls ur better off using two or three and going with leaf hops. Just don't pack them in tight, u want as much contact with the beer as possible.

Those tea balls are great- for whole (leaf) hops. Pellets disintegrate, and will not stop until the keg is empty.

Next time, use fine mesh (or ultra fine) hops sacks for pellets in the keg.

I use the knee length stockings that come in a little plastic ball from Walmart, three balls, or three pairs for a buck. Have used them for both pellets and whole hops, for me they work great. I soak the stocking in StatSan, fill, knot the top and dump the stocking in the keg before I fill.

tom

I have done this also, after a few pints the beer should clear out around the dip tub... I keg hopped in a tea ball over 2 oz an worked just fine for me..

I've used a few different things and so far have preferred a mesh bag or nylon stocking. I tack welded a piece of stainless to the inside of the keg lid. It has a small hole drilled into it that I tie my hop bag to.

Previous to that I hung the bag using a piece of dental floss running through the seal and tied to the keg handle.

Back