To screw or not to screw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aholloway17

Reaction score
Couldn't resist, sorry. Just bottling my second batch and realized some of the bottles that friends have been donating (yes because they want a sample) are screw tops. I didn't realize until the bottling had begun so I couldn't sop but the caps don't fit on with the same snap as the other bottles. Is this going to result in a big problem?

Thanks,

Allen

Sometimes you can get a good seal with twist-offs, but a majority of the time, you'll end up with uncarbonated beer. My advice is to drink the twist-off's first.

Unfortunately, you can't bottle in the screw top bottles. My understanding is that the screw tops allow oxygen to get into the bottle.

How many screw-topped bottles did you use?

Where in CT are you?

If you are using one of those red plastic "wing" cappers, then screw tops are a bad idea. You can cap them, but you don't often get a good, tight seal.

If you use a bench capper, you can get a good seal with screw tops.

For most home brewers - avoiding screw tops is the safe bet.

The only suggestion I can make now is to try turning the screw tops "tighter" and see if they move easily. You could also see if you could beg/borrow/steal a bench capper & try to re-cap them if it has only been a day since you bottled.

In my experience - you'll still get a few good bottles out of the batch of screw tops. I've done it before myself when I didn't know any better.

In most situations I would opt for the former.

This is not one of those situations.

Not that screw tops cannot be used. I just wouldn't use them more than once. the glass tend to be too thin.

I wasn't paying enough attention to some donated bottles and didn't realize Blue Moon comes in twist off bottles. I ended up capping at least 3-4 of them. My wing capper is red and metal and it seemed to get a good enough seal, but now I'll pay more attention and weed the twist off bottles out of my rotation. The last thing I want is a botched bottle or, worse, a shattered bottle due to the thinner glass.

I suggest you replace those twist-offs.

More importantly, set some ground rules with your friend next time. ;)

Learn them the ropes a little.

I actually stopped giving my friends homebrew. Unless I bring out a keg or they come to my place, they don't get any. Everytime I gave someone beer, I would be clear about not pouring the last 1/4" of the bottle. I explained why and then told them I'd like the bottles back. I never got bottles back and every time I saw one of them drinking my homebrews, it was out of the bottle. They complained about them being yeasty, haha.

If you don't listen, you get cut off.

Back