To insulate or not insulate??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
Building a coffin top keezer with a collar. The collar is made from 2x8 cedar with a 1x oak trim on the outside. Even with the 2-1/4" total thickness of the collar, should I still insulate the inside of the collar?? Opinions & experiences are welcome!

Building a coffin top keezer with a collar. The collar is made from 2x8 cedar with a 1x oak trim on the outside. Even with the 2-1/4" total thickness of the collar, should I still insulate the inside of the collar?? Opinions & experiences are welcome!
\

Pics? I think it depends a bit on where you have it and what your ambient temp is like, but insulating it can't hurt. If it's in your basement or some place that is always cool, you don't have to worry about it as much, but in a warmer environment insulation could potentially save you some money in the long run.

I see this question pop up all the time on HBT and I dont get it... What situation would anyone not want to insulate?

Obviously, I'm in the yes, insulate camp:)

\

Pics? I think it depends a bit on where you have it and what your ambient temp is like, but insulating it can't hurt. If it's in your basement or some place that is always cool, you don't have to worry about it as much, but in a warmer environment insulation could potentially save you some money in the long run.

The build link is in my signature below. Don't have any good photos of the inside of the collar yet will will try to take some later today.

It is going in the basement but it's a finish basement that stays in the upper 60s low 70s.

I see this question pop up all the time on HBT and I dont get it... What situation would anyone not want to insulate?

Obviously, I'm in the yes, insulate camp:)

It would just be easier to mount and move around the gas manifold, cable and line management rings, etc... on wood than through a rigid insulation. And wood is a decent insulator in itself.

I thought about just lining the inside of the collar with metallic duct tape and let it ride but haven't decided yet.

Thanks for comment!

The build link is in my signature below. Don't have any good photos of the inside of the collar yet will will try to take some later today.

It is going in the basement but it's a finish basement that stays in the upper 60s low 70s.

After looking through your build, I don't think you NEED it. It wouldn't hurt to have it, but I really don't see it costing you hardly anything in extra cooling costs.

You could throw a Kill-a-watt on it measure it for a while, then try it with some temporary insulation and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to avoid foam you can give Reflectix tape a shot, you could probably pick some up in the height you need without too much grief and it isn't very think even at a couple layers. I plan to use some I have left over from my mash tun when I make a collar.

Here is a shot of the collar. The black is solid oak trim glued and screwed to the 2x cedar inner collar

collar.jpg

After looking through your build, I don't think you NEED it. It wouldn't hurt to have it, but I really don't see it costing you hardly anything in extra cooling costs.

You could throw a Kill-a-watt on it measure it for a while, then try it with some temporary insulation and see if it makes a difference.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Additional insulation is going to have minimal impact to the overall efficiency? Me thinks??

If you want to avoid foam you can give Reflectix tape a shot, you could probably pick some up in the height you need without too much grief and it isn't very think even at a couple layers. I plan to use some I have left over from my mash tun when I make a collar.

I think if I do add anything, it will probably be a product like this. Thin enough so it doesn't interfering with mounting stuff yet it does provide a bit of a thermal barrier.

BTW vincent, I just noticed your location. My mother was from Placentia and I still have family there. Haven't visited in over 40 years, since I was a kid...

Last edited by a moderator:
@jbb3 A Canadian(? I'm assuming) and a Newfoundlander(heritage at the least) on the board, a double whammy of rare :D I'm not actually from the island myself (Ontario, moved for work/school). But it is definitely a place to see if you are into the outdoors, was one of the selling points for me.
As for the reflectix, it is a pretty solid product, I used one of the larger rolls to insulate my cheapo plastic bucket mash tun and I only lose 1F/hr which I consider pretty good since the ambient here is about 60F-65F if I leave the heat going.

Hey Floppy, What insulation did you add and why wish you hadn't??

:smack: The quote's citation gave credit to "Nobody". Which means nobody ever said that. Because nobody would have regretted adding insulation in this situation.

My post could've also been stated in less of a joking manner, such as..

"Adding insulation is never a bad decision. You really can't have too much"

:smack: The quote's citation gave credit to "Nobody". Which means nobody ever said that. Because nobody would have regretted adding insulation in this situation.

My post could've also been stated in less of a joking manner, such as..

"Adding insulation is never a bad decision. You really can't have too much"

Ohhhhh sarcasm... You should have said; Bazinga! ;)

Back