to high of a yeast starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
So with the shortage from MoreBeer on us-05 yeast, i did have a saved yeast cake of us-05 in my fridge. So I figured I would start a starter with it and to see if i can save a pack of my fresh us-05. I know most people say 1040 for starters. After seeing several videos that say 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water for a 1040 starter. So that is what I did.
Last starter i did, i didn't check, but since then i purchased a refractometer. Since it uses so little, i thought I would check to see what it comes in at. came in at 1058. hmmm. I pitched my slurry, stuck it on my home made stir plate, and figured I would see where it would go from there, i do plan on checking to see if it has dropped tomorrow before I pitch it. if it hasn't, then, i guess I'll pitch it as well as a fresh pack(or maybe not, thinking of off flavors ).

if it works,
Question to the smart ones, with it being so high, will it create any issues?
Temp in the house will fluctuate between 66 and 75 F. reason being, i live in ohio and the weather has been decent to keep the house open. Yeast cake will be used in the same recipe.

So with the shortage from MoreBeer on us-05 yeast, i did have a saved yeast cake of us-05 in my fridge. So I figured I would start a starter with it and to see if i can save a pack of my fresh us-05. I know most people say 1040 for starters. After seeing several videos that say 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water for a 1040 starter. So that is what I did.
Last starter i did, i didn't check, but since then i purchased a refractometer. Since it uses so little, i thought I would check to see what it comes in at. came in at 1058. hmmm. I pitched my slurry, stuck it on my home made stir plate, and figured I would see where it would go from there, i do plan on checking to see if it has dropped tomorrow before I pitch it. if it hasn't, then, i guess I'll pitch it as well as a fresh pack(or maybe not, thinking of off flavors ).

if it works,
Temp in the house will fluctuate between 66 and 75 F. reason being, i live in ohio and the weather has been decent to keep the house open. Yeast cake will be used in the same recipe.

Try Williams Brewing. I just got some 05 for $2.99 a pack. They ship out of san leandro ca, not sure what shipping is to Ohio but might be worth it. Also labelpeelers.com i hear is good too.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Safale-US-05-Dry-Ale-Yeast-P1482.aspx
Plenty of yeast out there!!

It should work out just fine. I use Wyeast almost exclusively, they state that the smack pack alone is good in 5 gallons of wort up to about 1.060. I prefer to make a starter, but YMMV.

In the future when making starters, measure by weight; 100 grams of DME to 1 liter of water. Okay, liters is still a volume but you get the gist :)

Temp in the house will fluctuate between 66 and 75 F. reason being, i live in ohio and the weather has been decent to keep the house open.

It will create beer. Will that be an issue? Yeast like it warm. Your temps will be fine for propagating yeast but not for making beer. For that you need temperature control.

Back