To full boil or not....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junedaddy75

Reaction score
Going to brew a Northern Brewer Black IPA this coming weekend. Recently acquired a 8 gallon pot and burner( been itching to use them). My question is, would it hurt to do a full boil? Or leave it at a partial boil as per the directions. I know this question has been beaten to death. Any help

Going to brew a Northern Brewer Black IPA this coming weekend. Recently acquired a 8 gallon pot and burner( been itching to use them). My question is, would it hurt to do a full boil? Or leave it at a partial boil as per the directions. I know this question has been beaten to death. Any help

Do it as a full boil, as long as you can chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort. It will make better beer, and it'll be worth it.

If you look through the forum, you will find a lot of people saying that the full boil improved their flavor - I don't know personally since I can't do a full boil. I think the only thing it will hurt is your propane tank (and wallet). I say GO FOR FULL BOIL.

Full boils are always preferrable to partial boils. People that have the equipment (pot size, burner size) for full boils should do full boils. So you should do a full boil :)

Instructions with the kits just assume most people are limited to partial boils (because that's probably true for most new brewers using kits).

Thanks for the feed back. Like to try it at least once. We have a wort chiller so it will help cooling. My wallet might become a bit lighter:)

As for full boil, absolutely. My beer quality took a big jump when I went FB.

As for steeping, as I understand it, the ratio is about 1.25-1.5 qts per lb of grain.

My 8 gal pot and burner are on their way, can't wait to do a full boil in one boil :rockin: Right now I split everything in half and boil 2 batches but I get the same results, just a much longer brew day

Good luck
Toy4Rick

Hop utilization is better with a full boil, but seach late extract addition so that you don't carmelize too much of your extract resulting in a higher FG than expected. Brew on!

I do full boils, but I steep in about 2 gallons. I wouldn't recommend steeping in full volume, you need rinse your grains.

Do the full boil. When I moved up to full boil, my beer got noticeably better.

Also, the Black IPA kit is awesome.

Thanks for the in put. So i should be steeping in about 1.5 -2 gallons as per directions. then after steeping is done, top off to 6-6.5 gallons and continue my 60 min boil? Am I correct on this assumption?

Thanks for the in put. So i should be steeping in about 1.5 -2 gallons as per directions. then after steeping is done, top off to 6-6.5 gallons and continue my 60 min boil? Am I correct on this assumption?

Maybe. How's that for definitive?!?!

What I mean is this- for a partial mash you'll want to go with the lower volume. But for simply steeping the grains, no, you can use the full volume if you want. It truly doesn't matter.

So, I can steep in 6 gallons of water. Then bring it to full boil. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question. We have done 5 partial boils and wanted to step it up a bit to a full boil.

So, I can steep in 6 gallons of water. Then bring it to full boil. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question. We have done 5 partial boils and wanted to step it up a bit to a full boil.

Yes. Or you can steep in a smaller volume while your bigger pot is coming to a boil and then combine them. Whatever works best for you.

Sorry!!!! Should have said it is a extract kit w/ speciality grains

Yooper is spot-on. Since they are just specialty grains, they are just being steeped (not mashed), so the amount of water is not that important. You can do it in all 5-6 gallons if you want.

OClairBrew said:
Hop utilization is better with a full boil, but seach late extract addition so that you don't carmelize too much of your extract resulting in a higher FG than expected. Brew on!

Regarding the higher FG due to carmelizing. Is this true?
I haven't done a late extract addition, and I do full boils.
I would say my FG's are dead on, buy my color is usually a little on the dark side. I would like to eliminate the darkness with a late LME addition. Will this help?

Regarding the higher FG due to carmelizing. Is this true?
I haven't done a late extract addition, and I do full boils.
I would say my FG's are dead on, buy my color is usually a little on the dark side. I would like to eliminate the darkness with a late LME addition. Will this help?

No, a higher FG can't really be attributed to 'caramelizing'. First, the wort isn't actually caramelizing, although it may be undergoing maillard reactions and so darkening. And if your FG aren't getting the dreaded "1.020 curse" then you're good!

I think LME just has a tendency to darken, and I've never tried a late addition with it in a full boil so I can't say if that will solve the issue. Using extra light DME instead of pale LME might fix it, though.

Again I would recommend to steep with about 2 gallon so you can rinse the grains. I do it all with one pot.

I do full boil in an 8.75 gallon pot. I put the steeping grains in a full size BIAB with the top open attached to a hop spider so they have lots of room to move. If you lift the bag a few times an get them moving during the steep you don't really need to rinse when you pull them out. Then I just change the bag for hop additions. Most of the colour Ive seen comes from the grains anyways so darkening LME I haven't even noticed. Just do it all in one pot to make it easy. Toss the grains in and pull them out before you hit 170.

Love the full boil...

Latest posts

Back