To Crush or Grind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
I've extracts with specialty grains. Never once did I look at the grains.

I'm going to brew up a NB Partial and this time I actually looked at the grains. Ok, now I don't know how crushed a crushed grain should look. Many grains are indeed crushed, split and cracked but many look quite whole.

After this batch, I'm doin an all grain using the BIAB method and thought I would experiment on this partial match.

I'm wondering if I'm going to do a BIAB, should I run the 3lbs of grains through a quick burst on my food processor to increase efficiency or should I just leave it alone?

When I do my BIAB next weekend, should I run 10lbs of grain through the food processor or should I have faith in Northern Brewer's crush?

you don't want the husks to be shredded. cracked and bits of flour yes, but from what i've read here, shredded/chopped husks could increase tannin extraction.

If you want them crushed more, it's probably better to get a rolling pin and crush them. The processor is going to shred the husks pretty bad.

Will NB run them through the mill twice for you? Seems like they would if you requested, alot of people are doing biab nowadays.

Back