To condition or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea_of_Shells

Reaction score
It's our first batch, and we're trying to decide on doing a "secondary" or not. The wiki isn't really clear on if this is required (but I'm assuming it isn't). What would the benefit be? We've had it in primary since Saturday, and I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra time. I guess we're pretty anxious to see how bad our beer turned out.

What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is secondary mandatory for dry-hopping?

Thanks in advance.

Secondary isn't mandatory. A lot of people on this forum don't secondary at all. You do need to leave the beer in primary for at least two weeks, because the yeast made some really nasty flavors while they were fermenting the beer. By leaving the beer with the yeast with the beer for two weeks they'll have the opportunity to get rid of some of those off flavors they created.

Not mandatory for dry-hopping. Quite a few will toss those into the primary after fermentation is complete.

Really brewer's choice. Just be careful about sanitization and transfer gently to not aerate the beer.

Unless you're going to do something with the brew that works BEST off the yeast, leave it alone until it's time to bottle/keg. I typically give my batches 3-4 weeks in primary before transferring them to serving kegs. I also dry hop in keg now (adding the hops in a nylon mesh bag) so that I don't lose any of the hop greatness.

I will transfer to do things like aging on wood. Or when making a batch of mead (when it's time to rack). But the majority of my brews are single vessels for the ferment, then go to keg. Been getting great beers time and again this way. There are many benefits to not using a secondary, but it's up to you to decide on it. Read through the threads below (under 'Similar Threads') and do a search too.

I do a secondary for most things but it is usually to free up my primary for something else. a secondary can be useful for adding fruit and other things and will help clear you beer but defiantly not mandatory.

I only use a secondary to age if the yeast doesn't flocculate well (and thus I want to give it longer to clear with less risk of mixing it all back up later) or if I'm dry hopping. Otherwise I just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and bottle/keg.

Leave it in the primary at least another 10 days.

Draw a sample from about 2/3rds down using a racking cane. If the beer is predominantly clear, your yeast has settled out enough to rack straight from the primary to a bottling bucket. (Just make sure to suspend that racking cane off the bottom of the fermenter to avoid the deep slurry of yeast...I use a clothes line clip on the cane that "hangs" on the bucket.

If it is not clear, rack it to a secondary and allow it to sit until it is clear. :mug:

Leave it in the primary at least another 10 days.

Draw a sample from about 2/3rds down using a racking cane. If the beer is predominantly clear, your yeast has settled out enough to rack straight from the primary to a bottling bucket. (Just make sure to suspend that racking cane off the bottom of the fermenter to avoid the deep slurry of yeast...I use a clothes line clip on the cane that "hangs" on the bucket.

If it is not clear, rack it to a secondary and allow it to sit until it is clear. :mug:

Thanks, this has been helpful. I'm sure the first few batches are trial and error. I'm glad I found this site.

Thanks to everyone, and cheers.

In the same spot as you. First brew and now it's time to go secondary or wait it out in primary vessel. I see the benefit to go with a secondary in that it 1. frees up your primary, and 2. Clarifies the brew. Negatives would be additional aeration and contamination. For my first batch, I think I will wait it out in the primary. Cheers and good luck!

In the same spot as you. First brew and now it's time to go secondary or wait it out in primary vessel. I see the benefit to go with a secondary in that it 1. frees up your primary, and 2. Clarifies the brew. Negatives would be additional aeration and contamination. For my first batch, I think I will wait it out in the primary. Cheers and good luck!

Actually, only the first point is valid (frees up a fermenter). You can get just as clear a brew by the long primary model. It does help when you pick yeast that have a higher flocculation rating (at least medium or medium high). More time to settle in primary means you get a great brew without the additional risks you pick up from racking.

I racked my first two batches, simply because I didn't know any better and believed what the people at the LHBS said (they were using dated/old methods). Since finding these boards I discovered that it was for the vast majority of brews it's completely unnecessary. Using the long primary for the majority, transferring to age only when it makes sense, has provided me with far superior brews. Very glad I learned about it.

Secondary is not necessary however my bottling bucket is also my primary so i like to transfer to a secondary carboy so i can see when my brew has clarified, it's impossible to tell when that point is in a white plastic pail.

Secondary is not necessary however my bottling bucket is also my primary so i like to transfer to a secondary carboy so i can see when my brew has clarified, it's impossible to tell when that point is in a white plastic pail.

I ferment inside sanke kegs, so I cannot see my brew at all until it's transferred to serving kegs. But, giving it 3+ weeks (longer for higher OG brews), and using high (or very high) flocculation rated yeast yields very clear brews. Of course, transferring with a CO2 push, and not moving the fermenter an inch during the entire time doesn't hurt either. :ban: :drunk:

you can think about it another way: you have 2 primary fermentors.

Latest posts

Back