To chill or not to chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imawiner2

Reaction score
I have a really stupid question...

I am making a gallon of wild blueberry wine. This is my first attempt at making a fruit wine. I don't normally drink non-grape wines but I was given some wild blueberrys and thought it would be fun to try. The recipe I used was for a fuller bodied wine if that makes a difference... I don't know how to serve it. The must is a deep red. Do I chill it or not? I should also add that I have only been making wine since March, so I don't know a lot to begin with.

I actually have another question...when bulk aging do you use an airlock or not? I haven't been because I figure the fermentation is done. Am I correct in thinking this? Along those same lines I have a gallon of dandelion wine that is in the secondary and has been racked once. I am using a bung with an airlock because don't have a solid one. Am I going to wreck the wine?

Thanks for the help.

S.

You can use a solid bung if the wine is no longer off-gassing. I just almost always use airlocks, as temperature changes and weather changes can cause some bubbling of the airlock.

As far as chilling/not chilling, some fruit wines are better slightly chilled. For instance, the plum wine I made last year is definitely better chilled, as is the blackberry and dendelion. But the chokecherry, a deep rich red, is better at red wine temperature.

As others said, I'd use an airlock. As far as chilled or not, try an ounce or so at chilled and cellar to room temp and see how it comes across at both. Chilling wine can mute the flavor and aroma some, but that can work in your advantage at times to mask flaws that are detectable at room temp, but muted when chilled.

When I make wine (I just experiment with one gallon batches right now) I leave it in the primary until it begins to clear on its own, then I rack to secondary. Usually by the second racking it is pretty clear unless I use something with lots of particulate in it (guarana for example). Sometimes a bit of cheesecloth or a filter on the racking cane helps keep pulp and such out. If not, a third racking usually solves it. Good luck!

The recipe I used just called for a yeast nutrient. Do I need to add camden or a fining agent? It also didn't say anything about degassing. I'm so confused! Thanks for the help.

If it isn't clearing on its own in time you can cold crash it use a fining agent like gelatin to help clear it. I personally wouldn't put camden in it now, but some do.

Back