To buy or not to buy Antique Fridge for resto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffew

Reaction score
Found this General Motors fridge on CL. Can get it for $100. They tell me that it is in excellent working condition. If I bought it I would turn it into a kegerator and paint it. Just not real sure if it is worthwhile since it is old. It definitely looks cool. I have somemore pictures and the inside looks good as does the door seal. Any thoughts?

IMG_0395[1].jpg

5G45K95H23md3L23F3c2e18907f4ece141e43.jpg

Don't dare turn that down. The guts might not work for long, but replacing those with modern guts has been done as well. It's beautiful and def worth it.

In my area that would be gone by the time I replied to this. Get it while you can. It might be some work to make it look like you want, but it is worth it!

I have 2, one painted with chalkboard paint.

BTW, these are a rare find for the old units. They are much bigger than the usual suspects.

Buy it. If it worked this long it should continue to work. I just got an old one this week and love it. I haven't worked on the paint yet.

IMAG0264.jpg

Ok thanks for the info. I am going to get it tomm. hopefully. I will post my own pics after I get it home.

OK I got it today. I have fired it up and it is cooling. Will update on status after I have checked it out. It is in better condition externally than I thought.

2012-03-03_19-24-55_98.jpg

2012-03-03_19-25-01_430.jpg

OK guys I haven't updated this along as I should have but I have been busy working on this fridge. I decided to stick with the theme of the fridge which is General Motors and use Hugger Orange paint, a GM color that has been around forever. I bought stainless pericks, 8" stainless shanks as well as tail pieces. Hand made tap handles by me. Polished all the chrome and badges. I removed the door and lower face piece. Sanded, primed and painted both. sanded the outside body of the fridge and painted it white. I removed the old unreliable factory thermostat and installed a Love temp controller to keep the temp at set point. There are a few more things I have done and still have to do, but for now here is what I have created.

2012-03-30_20-16-18_291.jpg

2012-03-30_20-16-46_789.jpg

2012-03-30_20-17-17_922.jpg

2012-03-31_17-11-02_70.jpg

2012-04-02_19-10-03_555.jpg

Very nice!

I keep saying that I'm going to paint my kegerator one day...but that would involve removing the kegs for a couple of days. Then what would I drink?

Back