To brew or not to brew with 6-7 month old grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
Hey there fellow HBT members,
I got a free bag of 2 row around late August 2015...it's an open bag and hasn't been sealed or used .... Any thoughts on using it?
I live in bend, Oregon where it's currently a rainy season and some snow...

Whole or milled?

If whole then brew on... If milled I would check the grains but they are possibly still ok.

Hey there fellow HBT members,
I got a free bag of 2 row around late August 2015...it's an open bag and hasn't been sealed or used .... Any thoughts on using it?

I'm confused by your statement "..it's an open bag and hasn't been sealed or used" :confused: maybe just opened to have a peek and a taste when it was new? Anyway, moisture would be the enemy of your pale malt, as long as it still smells nice, you should be fine.

That reminds me, I have some 6-month old Briess pale malt that I need to make something with next brew session. :mug:

I'm confused by your statement "..it's an open bag and hasn't been sealed or used" :confused: maybe just opened to have a peek and a taste when it was new? Anyway, moisture would be the enemy of your pale malt, as long as it still smells nice, you should be fine.

That reminds me, I have some 6-month old Briess pale malt that I need to make something with next brew session. :mug:

Sleepy,
Story goes as follows..
Back in August 2015 by local brew club posted on Facebook that a brewery here in town was giving away free 2 row!
I went to Good Life brewery and got an empty 50lb 2 row bag and began filling the bag with unmilled grains... I put it up in my shelf at home and until recently didn't have the space to brew in my garage ...
Thus it's been sitting in a bag for 6 months
Smells like 2 row to me!!!
No obvious adverse effects from what I can tell

That grain will last for quite some time yet. Barley is harvested once a year and we have beer supplies available year round, I have used 3 year old grain with no problems

Some of my oldest specialty grain is nearing the three year mark. I haven't noticed any degradation in flavor in the finished product. When I buy base grain, I usually buy about 200 lbs at a time. It takes many months for me to go through this, which means my grain is regularly older than yours is... So brew on!

Latest posts

Back