to bottle or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncobum

Reaction score
I have a brewers best red ale that has been in the primary 4 weeks. I have hit the FG I came up with in qbrew. The problem is, there is still airlock activity (couple bubbles a min). So do I bottle or let it sit another few days? :confused:

edit- to compound the decision, I have a stout stuck at 1.030 that I was thinking about racking onto the red's yeast to try and restart it.

You need to take a SG reading with your hydrometer. If its consistent for a few days, then you are safe to bottle. Airlock activity does not mean its fermenting... so don't ever gauge it by that.

Since you said it was in the primary for 4 weeks... its safe to say its done fermenting if you hit your FG :)

Yep, the only way to know for sure is by taking a gravity reading. If it's at or near your target and hasn't moved for a few days it should be done regardless of what the airlock is doing. Especially if it's been sitting there for four weeks.

It sat at the same gravity for 3 or 4 days straight, so I guess it was done regardless of the bubbles. I bottled it, and racked the stout onto the yeast. It is now bubbling away nicely.
Brew day tomorrow in my now empty bucket :)

Back