To Bottle or not to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coy

Reaction score
That is my question.

Brewed on Wednesday May 12, 2010. OG 1.48 (or 1.048 not certain how that's suppose to read)
Ingrediants
5lbs Amber malt extract
2lbs honey
1oz cascad 30min, .5oz cascade 10min, .5oz cascade 5min
yeast is safale s-04

week 1 =1.12 (1.012?)
week 2 =1.10 (1.010?) 3days later 1.09 but looked like it could be 1.10
took one on Tuesday June 1, 2010 1.08 (1.008?) took one yesterday and it was around 1.008 also.. But I'll check again today. So 3 weeks in the primary so far.

NOW this is why I want to bottle like this saturday. I'm moving and need to get my stuff packed up and set aside so I can do another batch as soon as I get to San Antonio (that's the plan anyway) Were leaving on June 30, but would like to share the brew with my friends and co-workers here around the 20th and have a few for the long drive... that would give them at least 2 weeks in the bottles. I also plan on saving at least 12 for family when I arrive in Texas which should be fine..

Do you think I'm rushing it? Or should I just let it set and the hell with everyone just bottle the week before leaving? If I do bottle; should I use less sugar since it appears the yeast is still working, but slowly?

Thanks

the rule is if the fg isnt the same for 3 days then it s not done but with that low of a sg youd prolly be ok i would think,and i would use the normal amount of priming sugar.good luck

S-04 isn't going to go much lower than that if at all, you'll be fine to bottle IMHO. I say bottle and don't worry about it, it's done!

Bottle it up! It is not a big beer. If it has been in primary for 3 weeks you will be just fine.

Thank you all for the boat(boad?) of confidence Looks like tomorrow will be bottling day for me. whoo hoo. :D

Backshorejake - what does "moving limited release beer" mean? I've never seen or heard that term before.

Passedpawn - thank you for the clarification on the extra 0 don't know why I'm so unsure about that. lol

The good thing is the reading tasted alot better than it did last week so the extra week (I had planned on botteling after 2weeks) helped the flavor alot... after a couple more in the bottle's I'm sure it'll be even better.

Thanks again.

Back