To become a good brewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom9d

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about brewing in general, and what it takes to become a good brewer. Practice, etc. But in my thinking, something crossed my mind...

I just don't like hoppy beer. I'm not even talking extreme IPAs. I like malty beers. And naturally, I want to brew beers that I'd want to drink. So can I never become a great brewer without brewing hoppy beers? At some point, if I want to become a great brewer, do I have to start brewing some hoppier beers just to broaden my knowledge of beers and my understanding of the brewing process? Or are there just so many possibilities that I can completely ignore hoppy beers and still brew a wide and diverse range of styles?

...I'm a beginner, so I'm a long way from having to worry about becoming a great brewer. But sort of a philosophical concern I had nonetheless. Thoughts?

So I've been thinking about brewing in general, and what it takes to become a good brewer. Practice, etc. But in my thinking, something crossed my mind...

I just don't like hoppy beer. I'm not even talking extreme IPAs. I like malty beers. And naturally, I want to brew beers that I'd want to drink. So can I never become a great brewer without brewing hoppy beers? At some point, if I want to become a great brewer, do I have to start brewing some hoppier beers just to broaden my knowledge of beers and my understanding of the brewing process? Or are there just so many possibilities that I can completely ignore hoppy beers and still brew a wide and diverse range of styles?

...I'm a beginner, so I'm a long way from having to worry about becoming a great brewer. But sort of a philosophical concern I had nonetheless. Thoughts?

Brew what you like. The techniques are the same, and in some ways hoppy beers are easier since they have a ton of hops and not much complexity- so making a hoppy beer doesn't necessarily make someone a better brewer.

Now, if you really want to challenge yourself as a brewer, make a light lager! That would be the most challenging beer style to make well.

IMHO you're over-thinking it. I'm not a hop-hound either, but since I started brewing I've started to enjoy them more. I don't think you necessarily need to brew them though in order to understand them and enjoy them for what they are.

Also, it helps to join a local brew club, or go to hombrew meetings. You'll be able to taste plenty of different styles and most likely even get a recipe so you can see what went into it.

Way back when I first starting drinking I hated hoppy beers. Now I love them! Not saying that you will over time or anything but the point of this hobby is to do what makes you happy and to brew what YOU like to drink. If you like malty beers over hoppy beers there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe over time you'll find you dig stouts, brown ales, lagers, mead or whatever. Just worry about making what you like and making that well.:fro:

There are TONS of possibilities out there. Of course you will usually always need some sort of hops in your beer but you can certainly make a low IBU beer if that's what you like. Just have fun.

Way back when I first starting drinking I hated hoppy beers. Now I love them! Not saying that you will over time or anything but the point of this hobby is to do what makes you happy and to brew what YOU like to drink. If you like malty beers over hoppy beers there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe over time you'll find you dig stouts, brown ales, lagers, mead or whatever. Just worry about making what you like and making that well.:fro:

There are TONS of possibilities out there. Of course you will usually always need some sort of hops in your beer but you can certainly make a low IBU beer if that's what you like. Just have fun.

brew what you like.
consistency and repeatability is more important than ever-increasing OG and hops.

Sounds to me like you need to try brewing some English Bitters. Idk why they call'em bitters,since they're quite malty. I like'em with pit bbq myself.

IPA and DIPA and IIPA are just popular beers. You don't have to do anything "extreme", I'm picturing the Extreme dudes from Harold and Kumar go to white castle right now.......... Ok back to my train of thought. Do what you like and you will make better beer almost every time.....

I am not sure what would define a great brewer. I make beers I like and beers that my family and friends like. What I find the most rewarding is when I give a sixer to family member or friend and they call or email out of the blue as say wow dude great brew. That is what makes brewing great. Does that mean I am a great brewer... maybe not but it sure makes it all worthwhile....

Like some others have said - Don't worry about it and make what you like in terms of styles. I'm exactly like you - I like the maltier styles...although what's funny is I don't like Scottish Ales...too sweet! I love browns, reds, blondes...are we talking beer or women? Just kidding. But seriously, I'm not fond of hoppy as heck beer either. It could be that my palette is too sensitive for the tongue numbing bitters of hoppier styles. I like styles that are on the maltier side - brown ale, irish red ale, english bitters...even some English IPAs...but even those are not as hoppy as an American Pale Ale.

There are plenty of styles out there that are in your range and just because you don't make certain styles, doesn't mean you can't become a good or a great brewer. There are brewers out there that specialize in a few styles...in some ways they've become experts in those styles...so it's not a bad thing.

Brew what you like...and remember - share the suds!

Sounds to me like you need to try brewing some English Bitters. Idk why they call'em bitters,since they're quite malty. I like'em with pit bbq myself.

Bitters are fun to make, excellent for spring/summer/fall since they are not as heavy and they are great session beers and great for parties...etc.

In terms of Bitters - I too would love to know why they started calling this particular mild ale a bitter instead of something like a "light pale ale". Light meaning - less hoppy and lower in alcohol. There are three types of Bitters though and maybe that's why they started the Bitter tag. I think they just labeled it bitters and then made different levels instead of calling it something Pale Ale.

Ordinary Bitter - typical mild beer but golden in color - low amts of hops, malt, alcohol and carbonation

Special Bitter - higher than an Ordinary Bitter in hops, malt, and alcohol.

Extra Special Bitter - also known as an English Pale Ale. Higher in hops, malt, alcohol and carbonation (for the most part)

I made a special bitter the other month - a Landlord clone...it was pretty good but I think it was in between an Ordinary and a Special. I didn't compensate for the extra 1/2 gallon of water in order to have 5 gallons at bottle time so I didn't increase the dme/lme so it was more in between the two bitter categories. Too weak for a Special Bitter....too strong for an Ordinary Bitter. Excellent with fish and chips though :)

Well you have come to the right hobby if you don't care for hoppy beers, now you can make beers that are exactly what you want! Boiling the hops longer gets you less hop flavor but more bitterness so you can tailor all your recipes to your liking!

The main reason I started homebrewing was to be able to make the beers that I like!

Good luck and keep asking questions

You can brew what you like, even if that means you aren't one of the "cool kids" who likes hops.

The nice thing about not brewing hoppy beers is not having to even think about late hop additions, or dry hopping, or any of that.

But I will warn you, hops have a way of sneaking up on you. You'll start out trying this craft beer and then that craft beer, for "research". They will start leading to hoppier beers. Pretty soon you realize that what was once a harsh, bitter beer to you, is suddenly full of hop FLAVOR and AROMA, not just bitter. You smell hops when you brew and want more of it.

You should have a T-shirt made that says "HOPHEAD". Place a piece of tape just above the words and write FUTURE on it. Some day you will look at that shirt and decide to peel the tape off. On that day, you will become a man.

You should have a T-shirt made that says "HOPHEAD". Place a piece of tape just above the words and write FUTURE on it. Some day you will look at that shirt and decide to peel the tape off. On that day, you will become a man.

I am at work right now and just about fell out of my chair laughing at this!! I was one of those people that used to hate hoppy beers. If you would try to hand me an IPA, I would want to throw it at your head. Now it seems like IPA's and DIPA's are what I crave most of the time becuase I can't get enough of them now. But like others have said, focus on making what you like and making it the best you can.

Hahaha. Thanks. That was good :)

I agree. Brew what you like. I've brewed beers that fellow homebrewers have tasted and didn't like. "It's too malty/too hoppy/astringent?/boozy/too sweet/undercarbonated/overcarbonated/etc." Well, I guess you won't be asking for any more then, will you? More for me.

It's the same thing with chili peppers.
First you start eating jalapenos and one day you're eating raw habaneros.

You just need to give it a chance once in a while.

Once I started drinking craft beers, I realized there is a HUGE difference between a hoppy beer and a well hopped beer. I couldn't stand hoppy, bitter beers until I started drinking examples that were well hopped. DFH 60 Minute jumps to mind, as well as ACME IPA and SN Torpedo. These are much, much hoppier than any beers I had before, yet I love their flavor and bitterness. I think it comes down to a brewery putting out a beer that has hop flavor to back up the bitterness.

I get it, and you're right. There is a difference between hoppy and well hopped. I recently tried Bronx Pale Ale by the new Bronx Brewery (I'm from the Bronx - had to support my local brewers), and while it was too hoppy for my liking, I could taste that there was good flavor there despite it not being my thing...as opposed to other hoppy beers I've had which almost seemed bitter just for the sake of being bitter.

Like you, I am not even close to being a hop-head. I still strongly dislike most IPA's and some APA's because it often seems as if these beers are brewed as part of some sort of bitterness/hops contest. I also prefer malty beers. Imperial Stouts, Porters, Scotch Ales, Wee-Heavies and most Belgian/Abbey styles rate among my personal faves. This is likely due to the lower relative hoppiness/bitterness in these styles.

Brew what you like, drink what you like, and don't worry about "becoming a man" or being "one of the popular kids".

It's the same thing with chili peppers.

You just need to give it a chance once in a while.

I'm not up to raw habaneros, but I'm quite the spice hound. Haven't gotten the taste for IPAs yet though.

If you were looking to start a brewery then I would say you need to be able to brew a variety of beers, including those don't are your personal style favorites, but if you are brewing beer for you worry about being good at brewing beer YOU like. If you can brew great malty beers that's better than being able to brew mediocre beers of a large variety.

I think you have an ideal situation. Like a lot of others have mentioned, the hoppy beers seem to grow on you as you continue experimenting. I also expect a lot of your friends and family are not hoppy beer people either so you may become a gateway brewer for yourself and everyone else.

:off: I was at a fish fry once with an assortment of fresh peppers, and accidentally ate a whole habanero in one bite. I almost cried in front of about 50 strangers and a handful of friends.

A year ago I did not care for hoppy beer. I have been home brewing for a year. Things have changed.

Back