Titanium Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanEBIAB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My expert scavenger uncle snagged a big titanium heat exchanger. Anyone have any experience using this kind of thing in your system? I’m especially curious how titanium might stand up to PBW and StarSan.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 9AF77274-3F86-4460-94AB-1CC26E42463E.jpeg
    9AF77274-3F86-4460-94AB-1CC26E42463E.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 53
I wouldn’t let anything touch beer that isn’t specifically vetted as food-safe.

A bit of Googling says that pure titanium should be non-toxic, but it won’t be pure titanium. Likely alloying components are aluminum and vanadium, and maybe those are ok, too … but you don’t really know, and you don’t know what else is in there, or what’s going to cause it to leach out, and in what quantities. Sure, it’s probably ok, but I don’t like to mess with “probably” when it comes to potentially ingesting metals.

Good point. There might be metals alloyed to make the Ti more workable for extrusion. It's anyone's guess what those may be.

You could use it as a pre-chiller, submerged in a bucket of ice water to provide colder intake water to your regular IC. The Ti won't touch the wort.

Great point about alloys, AlexKay. Apparently it was part of a pool heater—just got the model (attached). I’ll do some research about what materials it might contain. Your comment makes me think about non-food safe *coatings* as another potential issue... maybe a pre-chiller is the best use. Funny—I just used (a copper) one today for the first time.

Attachments

• 3FEB3DC3-13CC-4723-A3BE-E02172826275.jpeg
    3FEB3DC3-13CC-4723-A3BE-E02172826275.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 22
My expert scavenger uncle snagged a big titanium heat exchanger. Anyone have any experience using this kind of thing in your system? I’m especially curious how titanium might stand up to PBW and StarSan.

Excellent score! It's probably 6Al4V alloy which is the most common by far, is used in medical implants and will be quite impervious to anything you can do to it as well as completely safe and non toxic. No worries about coatings since it's already one of the most corrosion resistant metals around so it would be pointless to coat it with anything. Only thing better than this would be gold plated.

P.S. If you want a free fireworks show use a grinder to clean up those rough edges where it was sawn apart.

Last edited:
Back