Tired of the clip on thermometer in my kettle. Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
I do 2.5-3 gallon batches and brew in a 6 gallon kettle (Bayou 24 qt). I've been using one of those generic 11" long thermometers with the clip that you can attached the side of the kettle. I use the thermometer three times during the process - mashing, sparging, and cooling the wort. During the first two it's fine. I put the lid on as much as I can with the thermometer in place. But during cooling, it's a pain. I've got the immersion chiller in there, I'm stirring the wort, etc. The thermometer is always in the way and if it isn't, it's basically pressing against the chiller coils which is useless anyway. Is there a better way? I can't wrap my brain around a good spot to put one that wouldn't interfere with the coils. Or should I just get a nice instant read thermometer (Thermopop) and check it every few minutes during cooling?

Back