Tips for Bourbon Oak Russian Imp. Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Russian Imperial Stout soon and I just bought 3 oz. of Medium Toast American Oak Cubes. I'm going to soak them in Maker's Mark also.

The package of oak says that it needs to have contact for at least 8 weeks with the beer.

As far as a fermentation, secondary, and aging schedule, how do you suggest I do this beer?? I'm guessing that I should add the oak at secondary time and let it sit for a few months (in glass for oxidation reasons).

Should I use all 3 oz. of oak?

How long to soak in the bourbon? Should I add a little of the Maker's to the secondary?

This all comes down to personal preference and tastes.

Personally, I prefer not to add whiskey directly to my beer, but a lot of folks here do it. I'll give you an example of how I use whiskey and oak with my bourbon barrel porter as a reference.

I used 4oz. of chips. I covered them with enough bourbon (I also use MM) to just barely keep themp soaked. Every few days I'll shake the container they're soaking in. I'll let them sit for a total of 2 weeks before I strain the chips (I put used whiskey back into the original bottle, because in time I feel it has added a complexity to the bourbon) from the whiskey. I'll then allow them to dry for an hour or two before tossing them in my secondary fermentor.

I usually allow the oak to sit in my fermentor for 2-3 weeks depending on how much oak I'm looking for. I feel like the suggested 8 weeks on your package is probably meant for wine. 8 weeks in a beer would be too much in my opinion.

This all comes down to personal preference and tastes.

Personally, I prefer not to add whiskey directly to my beer, but a lot of folks here do it. I'll give you an example of how I use whiskey and oak with my bourbon barrel porter as a reference.

I used 4oz. of chips. I covered them with enough bourbon (I also use MM) to just barely keep themp soaked. Every few days I'll shake the container they're soaking in. I'll let them sit for a total of 2 weeks before I strain the chips (I put used whiskey back into the original bottle, because in time I feel it has added a complexity to the bourbon) from the whiskey. I'll then allow them to dry for an hour or two before tossing them in my secondary fermentor.

I usually allow the oak to sit in my fermentor for 2-3 weeks depending on how much oak I'm looking for. I feel like the suggested 8 weeks on your package is probably meant for wine. 8 weeks in a beer would be too much in my opinion.

Very helpful- I'm sure you are right about the 8 weeks being for wine. Good point and thanks!:mug:

Do you have experience with the difference between using chips and cubes??

First, I see no benefit to soaking in bourbon. The alcohol isn't enough to sanitize so you should steam 2oz of cubes in a small saucepan with the lid on in about 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Let it cool with the lid on and add it all including the water into the secondary.

After the 2 months in secondary, rack to your packaging and add your Maker's Mark there. If you're bottling, you now have the opportunity to bourbon half or whatever.

First, I see no benefit to soaking in bourbon. The alcohol isn't enough to sanitize so you should steam 2oz of cubes in a small saucepan with the lid on in about 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Let it cool with the lid on and add it all including the water into the secondary.

After the 2 months in secondary, rack to your packaging and add your Maker's Mark there. If you're bottling, you now have the opportunity to bourbon half or whatever.

I think he's trying to get a bourbon flavor by soaking them in the Maker's Mark. I was wondering about the sanitizing as well though.

I see what you're saying here. I also like the idea of doing some with and some without bourbon. This might be the way to go.

Very helpful- I'm sure you are right about the 8 weeks being for wine. Good point and thanks!:mug:

Do you have experience with the difference between using chips and cubes??

The only difference between the two would be surface area. I've always liked chips because you have more wood in contact with the beer, but they do flake apart a bit so cubes is probably a good way to go.

Back