Tip for BIAB guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj_rage

Reaction score
I only have 3 brews under my belt so far, but using DeathBrewer's stovetop all grain brewing method using the bag, brew day has gone very smoothly (thanks DB!). I still do sparging as his does by heating the sparge water in a second pot and after draining the first runnings, I dunk the bag/grains in the second sparge pot and then drain again.

My first brew I got around 71% efficiency, and the second around 74%. The only difference was that I had made up a colander to hold the bag and drip more first runnings (as well as more dripping/draining from the sparge). It still wasn't ideal though as I couldn't find a colander wide enough for the ~14" diameter of my 8gal megapot, and the rig I had was too small to hold 15+# of grain, still wanted to flex/break/spill/splash a little. My third brew I just did I achieved efficiency in the mid 80s (don't have my exact number with me), which I was ecstatic about.

It's way too early to tell for sure if this is what gave the bump in efficiency, but I thought it was a neat tip anyway, so I wanted to share. It's probably obvious to a lot of you, but I hadn't thought of it yet! Probably the biggest PITA part of the bag brewing is holding the bag of grains to drain them. When you have 15 or 16 pounds of grain in there, plus water weight, it can be pretty heavy, sticky, and uncomfortable to hold. I do move my pot to the floor so I can lift and hold it much easier, but what I did this time instead of using my rigged colander, was to use a 19qt lobster pot I already had (this one). I just lifted the bag, let the initial really fast runnings drip off until it slowed just a bit, and then put the bag into the steamer insert of the pot. So I only had to hold the hot, heavy bag for 10 or 20 seconds instead of a minute or two. I continued to let it drain into the bottom portion of the steamer setup, and after a bit, I took a pint glass (it was just convenient) and pushed the bottom of it into the bag in all different places to squeeze out more wort. I did this both for the first runnings as well as after sparging. I then just poured what I had collected in with the rest of the wort. I'm confident that for both the first runnings and sparging that I extracted more wort than letting the bag drip for as long as I could hold it would have collected.

I had been trying to figure out an easier way to let the bag drain, rather than holding it the whole time, and I think for me, this is it. Now, that pot might be too big and/or expensive to buy if you are only going to use for this purpose (we use it to steam crabs, lobsters, clams, etc as well). There is a cheaper one without the graphic or faucet ( I don't use/need the faucet) here, but if you already have a steamer pot of any kind, it might just work for you! The big size of these 19qt ones does allow for a big bag of grain and some working room, though, which is nice. I think squeezing out every bit of the water/runnings really made a difference in efficiency, but I won't know for sure until I do a few more brews and achieve that efficiency. Either way, better efficiency or not, I can say it is MUCH easier to do it this way than to physically hold the bag the entire time. Even if you have a colander setup that you're not entirely happy with (I had a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced colander that was big enough and strong enough to hold a bag of 15#+ of grain plus water weight), this might be an idea for you.

Anyway, I hope this simple idea helps some folks who might have the equipment on hand but never thought to use it this way :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I too BIAB. To drain/sparge the grain bag I just use my bottling bucket to drain back into the pot.

I too BIAB. To drain/sparge the grain bag I just use my bottling bucket to drain back into the pot.
Do you have a false bottom or something? Otherwise it wouldn't drain from bag to bucket? I'm trying to picture how you are using it, would you mind giving a few more details?

When I BIAB I slowly ramp mash up to approx. 145-155 depending on style. (this does not affect head retention) I stir alot too. I mash thick. This means I may not have that much pre-boiled wort in the kettle. So I take the full grain bag and transfer it to my bottling bucket while draining off some of the liquid just by holding it. To make sure I can get a reasonalbe amount of wort I will then batch sparge directly in the bucket. After 10 minutes-ish. I open the spicket. The bag acts as the filter/false bottom. Yes it gets stuck occasionally I just lift the bag up a little and it flows freely again directly into the kettle below.

Sorry no pictures. Everytime I get everything started and then relaize I didn't have the camera out.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. That's an interesting idea for sparging. That differs a little from what I was mentioning here, because it still does not decrease your observed absorption rate, which is essentially what I'm doing by draining it longer and more effectively.

Why not use a simple tree and hoist to take the bag out and hold it. Fasten a D ring (or similar) to the bag, when it's time to pull it out, use the hoist.

I use something like this: http://goo.gl/3ERr0

I have an older looking one I picked up at a second hand store and it has held 10# of wet grain thus far. I do add additional cross members going perpendicular to the supports it already has from a broken SS laundry rack I found in the alleyway, so that does help.

I don't worry too much about HSA from dripping though, so I let it sit there as I run a "sparge" through it. For 10# of grain I'll mash at 1.5qt/lb then in a second vessel I'll heat up all of the additional water I need. I'll measure off 1/2 of it when it hits the sparge temp I want, then let the rest come to near boil.

Last 5 minutes of mash I put the heat to the mash and let it climb as far as it will go before I raise the bag into the collander. Then I'll put the measured 1/2 through the grain, then the other 1/2 will go in without going through the grain. I'll do a press on the grain to get the last of the water out, but I'm not overly concerned about it, when it stops dripping I'll lift it off the kettle and dump it in the compost heap.

I'm not doing 10gal batches, but I'm sure that it would hold larger grainbeds as long as you didn't want to do a aftersparge press. Hope that helps.

I have used a cookie sheet laided over the top of my brew kettle. Its cheap, right next to the stove, and works. I have used it for both steeping grains and BIAB.

If you are sparging put the bag into a strainer and then on top of the cookie sheet. The strainer will acting as a forcing cone and keep the runnings aimed at the pot.

If you have a huge grain bill you could use two cookie sheets placed at 90 degrees.

Credit for this goes to a YOUTUBE video I saw from Steeljan.

I have used a cookie sheet laided over the top of my brew kettle. Its cheap, right next to the stove, and works. I have used it for both steeping grains and BIAB.

If you are sparging put the bag into a strainer and then on top of the cookie sheet. The strainer will acting as a forcing cone and keep the runnings aimed at the pot.

If you have a huge grain bill you could use two cookie sheets placed at 90 degrees.

Credit for this goes to a YOUTUBE video I saw from Steeljan.
Great tip!

I only have 3 brews under my belt so far, but using DeathBrewer's stovetop all grain brewing method using the bag, brew day has gone very smoothly (thanks DB!). I still do sparging as his does by heating the sparge water in a second pot and after draining the first runnings, I dunk the bag/grains in the second sparge pot and then drain again.

My first brew I got around 71% efficiency, and the second around 74%. The only difference was that I had made up a colander to hold the bag and drip more first runnings (as well as more dripping/draining from the sparge). It still wasn't ideal though as I couldn't find a colander wide enough for the ~14" diameter of my 8gal megapot, and the rig I had was too small to hold 15+# of grain, still wanted to flex/break/spill/splash a little. My third brew I just did I achieved efficiency in the mid 80s (don't have my exact number with me), which I was ecstatic about.

It's way too early to tell for sure if this is what gave the bump in efficiency, but I thought it was a neat tip anyway, so I wanted to share. It's probably obvious to a lot of you, but I hadn't thought of it yet! Probably the biggest PITA part of the bag brewing is holding the bag of grains to drain them. When you have 15 or 16 pounds of grain in there, plus water weight, it can be pretty heavy, sticky, and uncomfortable to hold. I do move my pot to the floor so I can lift and hold it much easier, but what I did this time instead of using my rigged colander, was to use a 19qt lobster pot I already had (this one). I just lifted the bag, let the initial really fast runnings drip off until it slowed just a bit, and then put the bag into the steamer insert of the pot. So I only had to hold the hot, heavy bag for 10 or 20 seconds instead of a minute or two. I continued to let it drain into the bottom portion of the steamer setup, and after a bit, I took a pint glass (it was just convenient) and pushed the bottom of it into the bag in all different places to squeeze out more wort. I did this both for the first runnings as well as after sparging. I then just poured what I had collected in with the rest of the wort. I'm confident that for both the first runnings and sparging that I extracted more wort than letting the bag drip for as long as I could hold it would have collected.

I had been trying to figure out an easier way to let the bag drain, rather than holding it the whole time, and I think for me, this is it. Now, that pot might be too big and/or expensive to buy if you are only going to use for this purpose (we use it to steam crabs, lobsters, clams, etc as well). There is a cheaper one without the graphic or faucet ( I don't use/need the faucet) here, but if you already have a steamer pot of any kind, it might just work for you! The big size of these 19qt ones does allow for a big bag of grain and some working room, though, which is nice. I think squeezing out every bit of the water/runnings really made a difference in efficiency, but I won't know for sure until I do a few more brews and achieve that efficiency. Either way, better efficiency or not, I can say it is MUCH easier to do it this way than to physically hold the bag the entire time. Even if you have a colander setup that you're not entirely happy with (I had a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced colander that was big enough and strong enough to hold a bag of 15#+ of grain plus water weight), this might be an idea for you.

Anyway, I hope this simple idea helps some folks who might have the equipment on hand but never thought to use it this way :mug:

I have a tip for YOU now :) I BIAB w/sparge also, and it sounds like draining is a concern for you.

I get 83% efficiency, every time I brew (30 brews apx), and I only drain my bag for about 10 seconds. Thats it. Thats all.

Saves you loads of time and worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, so maybe it wasn't what improved efficiency? It just made sense to me that it would help, but I guess not after all?

So you toss the grains with at least a few pints worth of wort still in there? I brewed today, and draining the way I described between first runnings and sparge, it was at least 3 pints worth of extra wort collected, and that was after holding the bag over the pot by hand for 30 seconds or so before it started to slow a bit. I did wind up with 85% efficiency for a 15# grain bill, which I was happy with. I'm still not sure if it's the extra draining, but I guess your results would suggest that it's not?

Maybe I don't need to go to so much trouble to drain so much, just use a few pints extra water for sparge to compensate for the higher observed absorption.

Back