Tincture vs. Boil for White IPA orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andruss15

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This weekend I will be brewing a White IPA. The recipe calls for 0.5 oz of dried orange peel and 1 oz of coriander to be added to 1 cup of vodka on brew day. That would then be added to the brew on bottling day. I'm new to brewing (3 batches under my belt) and am having trouble with this, thinking it may cause off flavors or too strong of a flavor. I've read several posts on this and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

My thought process would be to add these ingredients (orange peel and coriander) 10 mins before flame out, though being a White IPA I wouldn't want those flavor to dominate.

Any advice or thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for those flavors to sit in the background I might try adding with 5 minutes left in the boil. That is when I add orange peel and coriander in my American Wit to have the flavors just come through in the background.

I also might drop the coriander to .5 oz if you're going to put it in the boil. When I have used a whole oz in the past I have found it to be too strong.

Just my $0.02

The benefit to doing a tincture is that you can add as much as you need to taste. Just take a measured amount of pre-bottled beer and use a dropper until you hit the desired taste. You can then scale up to your batch size.

Back