time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascadegan said:
Last time I checked they don't make it in or ship it to India

perhaps Native American Black Ale?
or First Nation Black Ale? ;)

While I really like the sound of "Cascadian Dark Ale", it gives totally undue credit, and considering the history, it's even flat-out disrespectful IMO.

And they don't really ship IPAs to India anymore, either, but the name is associated with a pretty specific type of beer. And this new style is a direct descendant of the IPA, with the only real difference being the use of darker malts, so it's an IPA that is no longer "pale". Which makes IBA a totally appropriate name.

Regardless, the GABF's style guidelines (the only major organization that currently recognizes it as a separate style, AFAIK), officially designates it "India Black Ale".

Then again, is there really any use in trying to convince a guy named Cascadegan? It's not like he could be seriously biased... right? ;)

emjay said:
While I really like the sound of "Cascadian Dark Ale", it gives totally undue credit, and considering the history, it's even flat-out disrespectful IMO.

And they don't really ship IPAs to India anymore, either, but the name is associated with a pretty specific type of beer. And this new style is a direct descendant of the IPA, with the only real difference being the use of darker malts, so it's an IPA that is no longer "pale". Which makes IBA a totally appropriate name.

Regardless, the GABF's style guidelines (the only major organization that currently recognizes it as a separate style, AFAIK), officially designates it "India Black Ale".

Then again, is there really any use in trying to convince a guy named Cascadegan? It's not like he could be seriously biased... right? ;)

It is pretty different from an (english) IPA though, pretty much exclusively american (cough cascadian cough) hops and a different grain bill... and given that beer usually only has 4 things going into that's a pretty big difference.
But really any name works, its not like any one name is really better than the other, I actually like the name black ipa best despite it being an oxymoron.

Its not really an oxymoron though, because pale ale has never referred to the color of the beer specifically, but that it is made from pale malt. BIPAs are still made with pale malt as a base malt, but with the addition of some black malt for color not flavor. I just nailed one with a pound of belgian debittered and a pound of dark candi, it looks like a stout but a blind taster would have a hard time picking that out. It tastes just like an IPA.

To demonstrate how IPAs aren't usually that pale anyway, I recently put up a truly pale (5) IPA, and nobody knew what the heck it was :mug:

Alright here she is!!! Just a refreshing beer with a kick of something special. Guess away, hints will be given at 12 CST tomorrow!!!

image-3979935187.jpg

mcbethenstein said:
Lemon cream ale

Stien I'll give it to you! It is a lemon blonde ale. And just got my sheets back it scored a 34 this week in my first comp!

jtupper said:
Stien I'll give it to you! It is a lemon blonde ale. And just got my sheets back it scored a 34 this week in my first comp!

Cool. Stein.... Makes me laugh. I prefer McBeth. I get a pic up in a few minutes. My 15 month old gave me a bad cold and the only thing I'm in the mood to drink is NyQuil.

Here's a pic I dug up on my iPhone. You may now commence guessing. This hint will help no one....But this is my current favorite style.

image-1512601242.jpg

mcbethenstein said:
Hey, I represent that comment! Lol! I like their framboise... But then again I AM a girl.
Ever tried the apple? I keep thinking about getting one for my wife, but never wanting to risk the $10 drain pour. Last time I got her the kriek I ended up having to drink most of it, and got queezy :p

Ummm... I'm going to go with framboise for my guess :)

Nope, & nope. I don't think I've had the apple/pomme. If she didn't like the kriek, I wouldn't waste your money. The only way I would consider buying the apple is if she likes other soured beers AND hard ciders.

For today's guess I'm going with an abbey. Looks well clear though. Is it yours or commercial?

Sorry, was dying on the couch most of the day. No to all. I'll post a trivial and misleading hint just as soon as I can dig one up.

Latest posts

Back