time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about that the only commercial example is an AMERICAN beer that's a copy of a GERMAN beer with ENGLISH hops. :confused:

Thank you BottleBomber for helping me with my point(Whether or not you were actually trying to help me). :drunk:

However, to point out, the suggested use of hops would be noble hops (Possibly Hallertau or tettnanger - German). Unfortunately, that link for BJCP shows the Adambier under Barleywine/Old Ale. I figured this was closer to an English Barleywine rather than an American Barleywine, so I used the characteristics for the English Barleywine. Hops should have been irrelevant, but since I copied the text for English Barleywines, that mention of English hops was incorrect. I apologize.

Haputanlas said:
It is mentioned sort of as a substyle

This was your response when somebody asked if it was a BJCP style. There is NO mention of it in the style guidelines, "sort of" or otherwise.

Also, Old Ale/Barleywine is not a substyle, as you indicated. They are separated into Old Ale, English Barleywine, and American Barleywine, within the "Strong Ales" category. Giving the description for one when you want another is misleading at best.

Haputanlas said:
Check this out:

http://www.bjcp.org/study.php

Adambier is under the Barleywine/Old Ale substyle section.

Where, exactly? The only place it's mentioned on that page is the commercial example under the BJCP study course, which is not the same thing as the style guidelines, nor do they actually make any reference to the style itself.

In fact, it seems to me that the BJCP simply considers that particular commercial product to be something else - but it doesn't actually suggest a relationship between the adambier STYLE and Old Ale and/or BW. That's really just your own inference.

(And yeah... the hop thing)

Nevertheless... it's just a game, and your intentions were good, so it's cool. The only reason I'm mentioning all this is because you pretty much challenged me to do so :D

This was your response when somebody asked if it was a BJCP style. There is NO mention of it in the style guidelines, "sort of" or otherwise.

Also, Old Ale/Barleywine is not a substyle, as you indicated. They are separated into Old Ale, English Barleywine, and American Barleywine, within the "Strong Ales" category. Giving the description for one when you want another is misleading at best.

Where, exactly? The only place it's mentioned on that page is the commercial example under the BJCP study course, which is not the same thing as the style guidelines, nor do they actually make any reference to the style itself.

In fact, it seems to me that the BJCP simply considers that particular commercial product to be something else - but it doesn't actually suggest a relationship between the adambier STYLE and Old Ale and/or BW. That's really just your own inference.

(And yeah... the hop thing)

Nevertheless... it's just a game, and your intentions were good, so it's cool. The only reason I'm mentioning all this is because you pretty much challenged me to do so :D

That's cool. I appreciate your detail and I see your point.

It's beer and we can't afford to avoid any details (Especially while brewing). So, I prefer the extra level of detail. Thanks

It's all good :mug:

It's on to the next style.

BenS, the ball is in your court.

I have no pictures at the moment. Someone else is welcome to jump in.

Haputanlas said:
I actually COPIED the Barleywine text in here so that someone might use Google or another search tool to hit the main style. It looks like it happened.

I actually didn't look it up. But I figured that it was in the strong ale category from the flavor description. And I knew that strong, dark, smokey ale originated in northern germany so I guessed old ale.

Ill bite.

Here's a snapshot of the beer coming out of the primary.

Best of luck.

ForumRunner_20110908_134618.jpg

Couldn't get the lighting right.

Hint: Commercial beer (is that enough for now I have some better ones that would be more revealing). If not, it is from an American brewery, but not an american style.

Nothing yet... This beer is a SMaSH, and in many cases has a rest at 125 degrees before bringing it up to mash temp

Lager - American or otherwise. You gotsta brake down those proteins...
epic meal time?

Latest posts

Back