time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum! Okay, here's what I've got tonight. Looking for the specific brew. To that end, I will start with a broad hint: this is an American beer (both in style and the brewery it came from)

Photo on 7-14-14 at 10.12 PM.jpg

No to all (although I did have a GF hop head red last night, too!). Here's another hint to try to get you into the right style category: Big (BIG) and hoppy, and not a style named for its color.

Not a barleywine. Also, to clarify the previous hint (because I just realized it might need disambiguation), by "not named for its color" I meant to say that the style is not red, brown, white, etc., i.e. not named for a specific color on the wheel. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I am pretty confused at this point... I am pretty sure your last clarification was meant to remove "pale" as a color indicator per your previous hint.

At this point I'm going to guess Knee Deep Simtra Triple IPA but I think you need to follow up with an additional clarification about the "not a color style" thing WRT the word "pale"! Because pale is kind of a color specification, even if nobody follows it.

Yes, sorry, at this point, I am thinking my hint was not helpful at all. I was trying originally to respond to the first few guesses, which were all brown or red ales, hence my statement that it is not a style named for its color. However, I later realized that this might be confusing since, as you said, "pale" is a color-related term, so I tried to clarify. Clearly, though, I did a bad job! :/

Anyway, let's just wipe the slate clean at this point and say that, while you didn't get the specific brew right, it IS a triple IPA. Should be pretty easy to narrow down from there. Here's a hint that won't confuse: It isn't Pliny the Younger.

Heh, didn't mean to make you feel bad; it's just a fun game. I was just giving you a hard time.

My guess for the day is GF Green Bullet.

None of those. (Also, I think we are only supposed to guess one beer at a time, although I haven't looked back at the original rules post in awhile).

So, we've established that it's a triple IPA from an American brewery (do other countries even make triple IPAs currently? I'd be interested if anyone here knows). We haven't had a guess from the correct brewery yet, so there's a hint to narrow it down a bit.

Must be Devil Dancer. I got a taste of that the other day. Pretty tasty. Actually my buddy left the bottle on my desk and I haven't cleaned it up yet... been staring at it all day but for some reason I didn't guess it up front. Hah!

Haha that's a funny coincidence! It is Devil Dancer, yes. I had never had it before. Pretty darn good, although the booziness seemed to overwhelm the hops a little. What did you think?

Photo on 7-14-14 at 10.13 PM.jpg

I thought it was a little disappointing based on how much I liked KBS. But I wouldn't say no to another one. Agree about the booziness, also was a little light on aroma for my taste. But still a tasty beer, nit picking aside.

I was going to guess Devil Dancer, but it looked darker than I remembered. Maybe it's the lighting.

A sweet, sticky, highly hoppy sipper for sure with strong notes of alliums (onions & garlic).

I thought it was a little disappointing based on how much I liked KBS. But I wouldn't say no to another one. Agree about the booziness, also was a little light on aroma for my taste. But still a tasty beer, nit picking aside.

I agree with you, it's not up to the standard of KBS. Still, like you said, I wouldn't say no to another one. Although at $6 per bottle/$20 per four-pack here in Chicago, I also won't be buying any more myself.

I was going to guess Devil Dancer, but it looked darker than I remembered. Maybe it's the lighting.

Maybe this most recent batch is darker than previous ones. The lighting in that picture wasn't great, but the beer actually was that dark! (I was surprised by how dark it was when I poured it, in fact).

Anyway, sorry for momentarily derailing the thread. Back to the game!

Back