Time to bottle really high ABV Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Lane

Reaction score
I did a clone of Delirium Tremins and so far, it's worked perfectly. I tasted it when I racked it 5-6 weeks ago and it's good.

The ferment stalled in the 1st fermenter at about ABV 10.5-11.5% and started again after being in the 2nd fermenter. It's been slow and steady up until a short while ago. There doesn't seem to be any activity now.

It's time to bottle in 750 ml Belgian corked bottles.

My question: What do I do for bottle conditioning? I've never done a monster beer before. I haven't taken the final gravity yet but the ABV will probably work out to 12-13%.

I have cane sugar, DME and yeast nutrient.

I would just add cane sugar and bottle like normal. In my experience Belgian yeast strains can handle that ABV without any problems. It will take a bit longer to carb and condition though. I'd wait at least another 6 weeks after bottling.

I made an 11% tripel with WLP530. It had no problem carbonating up at all. As cswis86 said, Belgian yeast strains can typically handle high ABV no problem.

I frequently bottle hi octane tripels. Depending on how long it's been sitting, just add sugar and bottle as normal. If it's been sitting awhile at low temps, I might rehydrate and add CBC-1 with the sugar.

P.S.; use enough sugar for 3.5 volumes.

Last edited:
Definitely add more yeast. Rehydrate 1-2g of dry yeast per 5 gallons and add with your sugar. It’s worth it trust me! You’ll get a much much faster refermentation in the bottle and better tasting beer.

For that ABV, EC-118 would be best. Red star champagne yeast or T-58 could work too. Dry yeast is easiest cause you can weigh the exact amount. That way you don’t end up with too much yeast sediment in each bottle.

Latest posts

Back