Time to bottle my pilsner........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryhippo

Reaction score
I have been lagering my pilsner for the last 8 weeks @ about 2 degrees celcius.

I'm going to be using the Coopers sugar drops to carb the beer, but I've heard that I need to drop some dry yeast into the fermenter beforehand because apparently I killed off all the yeast when I dropped the temp for lagering.

I have a packet of Nottingham in the fridge. If I add this before bottling will I be OK????? My batch is about 18 litres.

Thanks once again!!!!

If you used a lager yeast then you should be fine with just priming and bottling as is but if you are worried and want to re-hydrate 1/3 packet of nottingham and add that at bottling it certainly won't hurt anything.

Just FYI, yeast don't die at low temps, they go dormant/hybernate. Yeast will live through sub-zero temps just fine, and don't even die in hot temps until about 140F. It is hard to kill yeast.

Scientists have made beer with 45,000,000 year old yeast they found encased in amber, and it rehydrated just fine. That's 45,000,000 year old yeast. It is hard to kill yeast.

Back