Time, pitching yeast to priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingbangbong

Reaction score
Hello, i'm currently working on my first batch of cider.

I just moved my cider to the secondary (after 14 days in primary). For how long can it be in the secondary before i need to start priming bottles?

Thank you :mug:,
B

I leave it about 2 weeks in primary but I have left it up to 6 weeks with no ill effects, i tend to leave at least a month in secondary and then I add Super Kleer, leave it another week or so, then bottle. Another 2-4 weeks in bottles and I am happy with the product. Some folk on here go months/years - i wish I was that patient.

Ok, so after one month in secondary I will still have enough active yeast to ferment the sugar in the bottles?

Is there any approximate maximum time that you can wait before you need to start bottling in order to have enough active yeast to ferment the sugar?

I think the "rule of thumb" is about 5 months, after which you should think about adding a pinch of yeast at bottling time. But I'm pretty sure I've seen posts here from people who have bottle conditioned after a year.

Latest posts

Back