Time for mead to drop clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialkayme

Reaction score
How long does it take for mead to drop clear?

I've made some meads years ago and it typically took a year or so before it was ready. Listening to some podcasts on mead making that suggested a mead would be ready in two months or so and I realized my system was antiquated. So I made a new batch using some of the more modern techniques.

8/24/19 "Brew" Day - 4 lbs of honey, 3.5 qts of H2O, 1g CaCl, 0.5g Epsom Salt, 0.25g Baking Soda mixed well together; 71B Yeast rehydrated into 50 ml of 104 deg. H2O + 2.5g GoFerm, slowly adding must every 30 min once cooled, pitch yeast, SG 1.125
- Degas every 12 hrs for 7 days, then every 24 hrs for 5 days
- +1.1g Fermaid O @24hr, 48hr, 72hr, & day 7
9/6/19 - SG 1.052, move to 1 gal jar with airlock, set on counter away from direct sunlight.
1/5/20 - Jar looks like attached pic

I figured after 4 months I would have dropped clear. Any idea why it isn't, and what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_163717.jpg
    IMG_20200105_163717.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 47
I've got some meads with particularly low ph that take forever to finish fermenting, but yours wouldn't have that issue.

Has the SG dropped any since September?

Yes, the SG is currently sitting at 1.013. pH at time of yeast pitch was 3.86 (I don't know what it is now though).

8/24 through 9/21 it was kept in a fermentation chamber at 66 degrees. 9/21 through today it's been on my kitchen counter, with a temp that fluctuates between 62 and 70.

Haze is typically from neutrally suspended neg or pos charged particles often due to CO2 in suspension.

Try racking from the lees and throwing it in the fridge for a week or so. The racking will help degass the CO2 and the cold will allow some of the particles to fall out due to the change in viscosity.

If that doesnt work try one of the fining agents on the market. I use KC Super Kleer when cold doesnt work.

Try this. Swirl the crap out of it to knock the absorbed CO2 out of solution, then stick it in the fridge. Racking first will help with the first part, but doesn’t matter that much.

It’ll all clear when you cold crash it. But you could rack it first, the movement will get some gases out too, but you’d lose more product with each racking.

lol I will often swirl a hazy mead where the yeast has mostly flocked. I find it doesn't take long for them to re-rettle and they usually take a few of their friends with them.

I recently used Sparkolloid to clear a stubborn tart cherry mead. I wanted to try Super Kleer but the LHBS doesn't carry it, so I gave this a shot. It is the hot mix one. I followed the instructions, and was under the impression it would take another week or so to clear. Much to my surprise, it dropped crystal clear over night, at about 75 degrees fahrenheit.

Cold crashing was not an option for me because it is a 5 gallon batch and I am too lazy to siphon off into 5 jugs etc.....

The point being, fining agents seem to work to a greater or lesser extent and may be worth your consideration.

I racked, swirled heavy, then put it in the fridge on Tuesday. Still not clear. Anyone know how much Super Kleer to use on a 1 gal batch? Or if sparkolloid or gelatin would be a better option for 1 gal batches?

More importantly, what did I do wrong?

Nothing you did wrong, it’s a biological process. Some honey never clear, proteins that are present. Some yeast take longer to clear, cold crashing for a week is not unusual.

Use a full measure of Super Kleer. Works for up to 5 gallons or a little more. Definately will not hurt a gallon. Follow the directions on the two pack/ part process. I tend to wait 12 to 24 hours between the steps vs. just an hour or so.

Cold crashinghax taken up toa week or two, but as mentioned above sometimes the protiens dont fall out and need Super Kleer, gelatin or other fining agents. Occasionally they dont work either and time is the only solution.

Use a full measure of Super Kleer. Works for up to 5 gallons or a little more. Definately will not hurt a gallon.

I would advise against that. Super Kleer has a horrible medicinal taste that could ruin a mead if overdosed into 1 gallon.

I use syringes and measure out 1/5th of each packet for a gallon. Be sure to wait long enough for it to completely drop out of solution.

I would advise against that. Super Kleer has a horrible medicinal taste that could ruin a mead if overdosed into 1 gallon.

I use syringes and measure out 1/5th of each packet for a gallon. Be sure to wait long enough for it to completely drop out of solution.

I was unaware of that, having never used the stuff myself. Thanks for the info.

Back