Thripex Plus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbusAmongus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gave this an attempt as a natural mite control? Both forum search and google search returns nothing. Thripex Plus is apparently a pouch of predatory mites that eat spider mites.

http://www.koppert.com/pests/thrips/products-against-thrips/detail/thripex-plus-1/

I am a little hesitant to introduce mites for a mite problem but...sounds like a good alternative to spraying chemicals. I can just see these guys going cane toad on me though...

I would not be too worried about introducing a new species into your area since a) there are strict govenmental regulations regarding the importation of insects, and b) these are used commercially in the millions (maybe even billions) every year all over north america! Also, the name "Thripex" is in reference to the main target of thrips. While N. cucumeris (the mite in Thripex) may eat the occasional spider mite, there are much more effective spider mite predators, like Amblyseius fallacis, that might stand a chance surviving in the outdoor environment.

Koppert is a global commercial supplier, and I have never seen their products sold in retail settings.

Back