Three tier or single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moshpit

Reaction score
Alright homebrewers, i'v done 4 extract batches and i want to start all grain. I can't decide if i want to go with a 3 tier gravity fed with a cooler mash tun or a single tier with a kettle mash tun. I have been researching pros and cons of both but can't decide. I don't want to go with one and wish i went with the other. I have not brewed all grain on any system before. I'm just looking for some feed back from more experienced brewers. The summer is only so long in NEPA. Thank you in advance.

I know this isn't one or the other but have you thought about BIAB? I just switched over from extract and I love the BIAB method.

3 tier takes up less space.
Single tier is easier to work on.
You can get away with three-way valves and one pump, single valves and two pumps, or disconnect/move hose and one pump... your choice.

I'm currently using a single tier set up, been brewing all grain for the past 2 years. I wish I bought a pump sooner. It's so nice not having to lug around large pots of hot water to transfer them. Plus now I can recirculate my mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Two tier is an option as well.

I have my HLT and MLT (with RIMS) on one level, and use the RIMS pump for fly sparging. The boil kettle is lower and the MLT gravity drains to the kettle during the sparge. The pump is also used to recirculate wort through my CFC when cooling. You can get away with smaller cheaper pump in this setup (US Solar pump in my case).

I have a three tier system with two burners. Just run all the water for the day in the top pot, heat it up let gravity transfer it to the cooler mash tun and batch sparge into the boil kettle on the bottom burner. Could not be easier, no lifting, no pumps to mess with. I love it.

If you go single tier you will need two pumps if you want to fly sparg. If you go three tier you only need one pump and that's only if you want to recirculate. I went two tier with one pump to give me the option to fly or batch sparg as well as recirculate.

I tried building a three-tier at first and it didn't work out so well... my current rig is a two-tier with one pump (link below...). I am happy with the set-up but I can understand why people would go with a single. Preference and the amount of space you have are probably the big factors.

I started off brewing all grain before I decided to build a brew stand. Then when I started building my cart it was easy. I just wanted something that was a more compact and always ready-to-go version of what I was "building" every brew day. (using a table)

Like eaglerisingbrew, I also ended up with a two tier. I like to use gravity since that is how I started. I have a pump but it's not necessary.

IMG_1141.JPG

Alright homebrewers, i'v done 4 extract batches and i want to start all grain. I can't decide if i want to go with a 3 tier gravity fed with a cooler mash tun or a single tier with a kettle mash tun. I have been researching pros and cons of both but can't decide. I don't want to go with one and wish i went with the other. I have not brewed all grain on any system before. I'm just looking for some feed back from more experienced brewers. The summer is only so long in NEPA. Thank you in advance.

3-tier systems are tall. Is height going to be a problem in your brew space?

Single-tier systems need at least one pump, so be prepared to shell out at least $150 or so for a pump and the fittings.

There are some people that have found and used little $40 pumps, but I cannot comment on their usefulness or reliability.

I started out with a 3-tier propane system on my back deck outside, so height was not a problem. It was really nice using gravity to go from the hot liquor tank to the mash tun and then from the mash tun to the boil kettle. I used a pump to go from the boil kettle through my chiller to the carboy. It was a great system. Worked just fine. I made a little ladder to be able to stir chemical additions into the HLT.

Then I got tired of brewing outside (wind/humidity/heat/cold/precipitation/hauling stuff from my basement to my deck and back) and buying propane tanks so moved my rig inside. My basement ceiling would not permit a 3-tier system (I suppose I could have dug out the basement floor, but...) so I built a single-tier stand and converted to an electric HERMS system. Bought an extra pump so I could recirculate the HLT water while I recirculated the wort through the HERMS coil. The system works great. All other factors aside, I prefer the single-tier system. No need to get up on a ladder. No worries about height restrictions. It was pricier, but with all of the money I've sunk into brewing already, it's just not that big of a cost in relation to all of it put together.

WOW. I was not expecting so many replies. Thank you all for the great feed back.You really got my wheeles turning now.If i go with a 3 tier i'm going to get a Blichmann top tier system with 2 burners and 1 pump.I buy spring water by the 5 gal jugs,this way i can pour water in BK and pump it up to HLT.If I go single tier i was going to build my own.I work in a welding shop so it would be easy for me to do it.I guess your basic 3 burner 2 pump set up.The only thing i'm not real sure about is mashing with a kettle.If its direct fired to maintain temp then i have to recirculate to prevent scorching right?That means pumping from ball valve back to the top of the MT right?Is this the only time I need to recirculate?This seems to be the only real difference from a cooler mash tun right? I'm just trying to make sure i understand.I don't know anyone that homebrews so i'm learning by reading and watching videos.Asking you all these questions really helps me and i appreciate it.

If you go single tier you will need two pumps if you want to fly sparg. If you go three tier you only need one pump and that's only if you want to recirculate. I went two tier with one pump to give me the option to fly or batch sparg as well as recirculate.

Just curious as to why anyone would fly sparge today. Batch sparging is sooo damn easy and consistent why mess with it?

Fly sparging is also easy and consistent. Sometimes it's a matter of convenience. I have a HERMS system and since I'm recirculating anyway it's just as easy to fly Sparge and the grain bed is already set nicely.

.The only thing i'm not real sure about is mashing with a kettle.If its direct fired to maintain temp then i have to recirculate to prevent scorching right?That means pumping from ball valve back to the top of the MT right?Is this the only time I need to recirculate?This seems to be the only real difference from a cooler mash tun right? I'm just trying to make sure i understand.I don't know anyone that homebrews so i'm learning by reading and watching videos.Asking you all these questions really helps me and i appreciate it.

Recirculating a direct fired kettle does not eliminate scorching. Even watching really close doesn't guaranty against scorching. That's why I went RIMS, and then eventually HERMS. Looking back, I wish I would have just gone with a cooler.

Regarding sparge method, which way are you leaning... batch or fly?

Fly sparging is also easy and consistent. Sometimes it's a matter of convenience. I have a HERMS system and since I'm recirculating anyway it's just as easy to fly Sparge and the grain bed is already set nicely.

Ok, I guess if it's more convenient. I'm still brewing on a ghetto gravity system, no pumps. But even if I had one I wouldn't fly sparge. And I mash in a large grain bag so no need to reset the grain bed either.

Acidrain i'm not real sure.I don't have experience with either so I would like to try both.

WOW. I was not expecting so many replies. Thank you all for the great feed back.You really got my wheeles turning now.If i go with a 3 tier i'm going to get a Blichmann top tier system with 2 burners and 1 pump.I buy spring water by the 5 gal jugs,this way i can pour water in BK and pump it up to HLT.If I go single tier i was going to build my own.I work in a welding shop so it would be easy for me to do it.I guess your basic 3 burner 2 pump set up.The only thing i'm not real sure about is mashing with a kettle.If its direct fired to maintain temp then i have to recirculate to prevent scorching right?That means pumping from ball valve back to the top of the MT right?Is this the only time I need to recirculate?This seems to be the only real difference from a cooler mash tun right? I'm just trying to make sure i understand.I don't know anyone that homebrews so i'm learning by reading and watching videos.Asking you all these questions really helps me and i appreciate it.

If you have access to welding tools, I would say build your own. There are tons of plans/ideas out there for single, two & three tier systems.

I went for simplicity and lower cost. I have my hlt on a turkey fryer up top, with filtered water plumbed there. It drains into my mash tun, a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with a water heater braid. That drains into my BK on an SP10 burner. It is high enough to drain into a fermenter sitting on the floor.

I started off brewing all grain before I decided to build a brew stand. Then when I started building my cart it was easy. I just wanted something that was a more compact and always ready-to-go version of what I was "building" every brew day. (using a table)

Like eaglerisingbrew, I also ended up with a two tier. I like to use gravity since that is how I started. I have a pump but it's not necessary.

IMG_1141.JPG

Are those speakers built into your brewstand?

Recirculating a direct fired kettle does not eliminate scorching. Even watching really close doesn't guaranty against scorching. That's why I went RIMS, and then eventually HERMS. Looking back, I wish I would have just gone with a cooler.

This is completely dependent on the equipment used. Especially the type of burner and false bottom. I direct fire/recirculate in a keggle with a full false bottom using a sq-14 burner. Never even close to scorching. Honestly I don't really have to use the burner that much to keep the temp consistent.

I went the opposite direction. Started with a cooler and wanted to get away from using plastic in my process so I switched to stainless. Not really a wrong way to do it though as long as the end product is something you enjoy.

I love my shelves from sevilleclassics, 18", < $100, no pump. From HLT to MT to BK to carboy, all gravity. Until I get a HLT with a thermometer, I have to use a ladder to check with my temps, but that will be fixed someday when I replace my turkey fryer.

3-tier w20G BK.jpg

I really like my top tier setup. With enough valves, I can accomplish everything with one pump. Nothing is gravity fed.

1402300469431.jpg

Damn TripleTap, thats one hell of a set up. I would'nt even know what to do with that! Awsome.

Back