Three Step Starter Timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
I’m making a 11 gal batch of German Pilsner and this is going to be the biggest starter I’ve ever needed. I have a 2l flask and a 1 gal jug that I could use. The jug works fine on my stir plate so I think I’m going with that as the vessel. Anyway, I’m hoping someone can give some insight to this timeline as I’m thinking I might be cutting is close.

Tuesday Night: pitch yeast (omega German lager I) into a 1L, 1.038 wort on stir plate.
Wednesday Night: Add another 2L of 1.038 wort on top of starter.
Friday morning, put in fridge to cold crash.
Friday night: decant and add 3L new 1.038 wort.
Brew Saturday, probably ready to pitch late afternoon.
Pitch full 3L starter, no time to crash and decant.

Now that I lay it all out I’m thinking I should have started this on Monday. Do you guys think I’m cutting this too close for a three step starter? I’m only chilling and decanting once to cut some time out of this. I’m also going to be pitching an active 3L starter rather than cold crashing again. I think that logic is an active yeast starter is good for fermentation but the volume of that starter can be somewhat problematic. Do you think this is tight enough that I should try to brew on Sunday?

Any thoughts on this?

http://yeastcalculator.com/
I use this site. Very user friendly.
I was stepping too and had enough of the nonsense. I feel for you. Stepping stinks. Buy a 5000Ml Erlenmeyer flask instead. With the 5l, you can do those bigger batches or bigger beers in one step. Relatively inexpensive ($40) compared to the time, effort, and DME. Plus, don't pitch your starter... have you ever tasted that stuff? It's gross. A delicate beer like a German Pils needs to stand on its own. Start it all Monday, or Sunday even, cold crash and decant properly. Your beer will thank you.

Just my opinions. Good luck!
Cheers!

I use brewers friend for a starter calculator. They all work about the same way.

I'm seeing that I could get away with a 2 step starter if I start with 2L, second step would be 3.5 because that's about all i can fit in a 1 gallon jug. maybe Ill just do that and then give myself a day to cold crash and decant instead of pitching the full starter.

Say, how long is a starter good in the fridge after crashing and decanting? Could you do a starter early and have it waiting dormant for a couple days or would you lose a lot of cells?

I will say also I agree with the 5L flask. I started with 1L then 3L and now Ive had a 5L forever and I use it for every starter and just "go big" if necessary. I will add that do yourself a favor and get a REAL Pyrex (name brand) flask if you can. The cheap ones youll eventually break with a simple tap against something. I did this twice bought a real pryex brand and knock on wood haven't come close to breaking it in 2 years

I have a 5L beaker for the last step of a starter. if I need three steps, I give myself at least 7 days. If the yeast is old, it might take a solid day or more before they get to work on the first step. I have a bad habit of not giving enough time, and end up changing the brew day because of it. You would think I knew better by now...

I have no experience with lager fermentation so I can't comment on weather a huge starter is really needed or not.

By the calculations I've found I think I can build this up in two steps. 2L then 3.5L.

The first step finished in 26 hours and is chilling now. I'll decant and add 3.5L tonight and see if that can also finish in 24 hours. If so I should be good.

Also, I agree that a 5L flask would be ideal but I don't plan on doing this often. My sit plate also works great with a 1 gallon jug thanks to my samarium cobalt magnets on my stir plate. Perk of being an electric motor designer is access to the some of the worlds strongest magnets.

Back