Three Most Useful Brewing Tools

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
So this is really simple, I’m wondering what everyone out there considers to be their three most useful brewing tools (I’m talking equipment, software, books, whatever…) For me I think they would have to be:

1. StarSan! – I can’t imagine ever going back to my days of using bleach. This stuff is well worth the price, especially considering its potential for re-use.
2. Hydrometer – Sometimes it’s just nice to know where my fermentation is at, and I’ve learned the hard way that the bubbles lie! Soon will be replaced by a refractometer, whenever it gets here from China…
3. HBT – I’ve heard better advice here than any other brewing information sources, the begginers forum is the perfect place for a noob to hang out and learn a thing or two.

Let me know what you guys think!

1. A homebrew to drink while homebrewing
2. Turkey fryer, which gets me out of the house for 3-4 hours
3. HBT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-32-Brix-W...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f091967a6#ht_4442wt_1016

It ends up being $29.10 after you add in shipping at it takes a while to get here, but it's a lot cheaper than any other sites I've seen.

I just got mine a few weeks ago. I don't know I lived without it. Taking gravity readings during a mash was just too much work - not anymore. I know what the first runnings, last runnings and most importantly, the pre boil - I can now adjust my hop additions if the pre boil gravity is too far off. I could also add more runnings if I get super high efficiency and end up with more beer - or at least some ready made starter wort.

A very handy tool.

1. Stirplate for making starters
2. Propane burner(s)
3. BeerSmith

I have the refractometer Bobby_M sells on his site... Low $30 range when I got it... I'd rather support a fellow HBT member with a purchase than someone I don't know from ebray... Although I do tend so score/snipe Sanke kegs off ebay (for fermenting in)... :rockin:

pst, mcaple1, it's supposed to be tools, not ingredients... ;)

1. Passion.
2. Ingredients.
3. Beer Alchemy

... And a supportive wife!

2. Propane burner(s)
3. BeerSmith

I have the refractometer Bobby_M sells on his site... Low $30 range when I got it... I'd rather support a fellow HBT member with a purchase than someone I don't know from ebray... Although I do tend so score/snipe Sanke kegs off ebay (for fermenting in)... :rockin:

psst Golddiggie....ingredients are a brewer's tools to making beer....get it straight.

Golddiggie said:
2. Propane burner(s)
3. BeerSmith

Can you point me to Bobby_m's site? I'd like to support a fellow HBT'er as well.

1. Boil kettle with Spigot
2. Wort chiller
3. Good old fashioned american ingenuity.

psst Golddiggie....ingredients are a brewer's tools to making beer....get it straight.

A little off topic, but are you willing to share you Minnesota Fall Spiced Holiday Graff recipe. Mouth started water just looking at the name.

Back