American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up 19 gallons of this bad boy last weekend.
I used a hopspider to filter out the hops and reduce trub and instead of FWH, I added about 9ml of hopshot.
I plan to dryhop it with a Citra/Amarillo combo...
Noms!

20160507_110259_zpsukzfispw.jpg

20160507_102426_zpsns5pymxl.jpg

20160507_130735_zpsha9qve8e.jpg

20160507_131405_zpshv5s7uiu.jpg

20160507_151214_zpsmfnmzeho.jpg

20160507_155520_zps162zvvqn.jpg

Been Reading this Thread for 3 days now. Only had zombie dust Once when I was at the CBC in Denmark.

Will be brewing this clone next weekend. IF its even close to the zd i had in Denmark IT Will be awesome

Unfortunately, I've never had Zombie Dust, so I can't give any opinion how this recipe stands to the original. Just the same, I brewed this recipe up, as originally posted (with S-04), a few weeks ago. Started sampling the keg yesterday. While I find it to be kinda hazy, I am really happy with the taste. It will definitely be in my rotation for a while. Many thanks, @skeezerpleezer! (and anyone else if they had a hand in developing this recipe)

Citra only when used as the bittering hop. Simcoe a little as well. Both show up on a Google search, but apparently it's a common aroma in the wine world associated with black currant or gooseberry.

I don't think I've tasted it myself, but a couple of my beer nerd friends have said they get that aroma from citra. They also said they found a lot of it in the Prairie Funky Gold Simcoe. Both of the beers were fermented with Brett though, so our best theory is that it is the Brett or other yeasts are interacting with certain hops to bring about this "cat pee" aroma.

The three of us have all tasted the real Zombie Dust, PseudoSue, and this Zombie Dust clone (all 100% citra afaik) with no trace of cat pee detectable whatsoever. So I disagree that using citra as a bittering hop should be expected to give off a cat pee aroma, or these all citra beers wouldn't be considered some of the best APAs out there. If anyone is getting that from this recipe, I suggest trying a different yeast ( I used S-04) or different source for the citra hops.

My understanding is that that particular aroma can vary from crop to crop, so you really don't know if you're going to get it or not until you brew with it...

I don't think I've tasted it myself, but a couple of my beer nerd friends have said they get that aroma from citra. They also said they found a lot of it in the Prairie Funky Gold Simcoe. Both of the beers were fermented with Brett though, so our best theory is that it is the Brett or other yeasts are interacting with certain hops to bring about this "cat pee" aroma.

The three of us have all tasted the real Zombie Dust, PseudoSue, and this Zombie Dust clone (all 100% citra afaik) with no trace of cat pee detectable whatsoever. So I disagree that using citra as a bittering hop should be expected to give off a cat pee aroma, or these all citra beers wouldn't be considered some of the best APAs out there. If anyone is getting that from this recipe, I suggest trying a different yeast ( I used S-04) or different source for the citra hops.

I get cat pee from Lawson's Double Sunshine. It's delicious :)

Ok, so I did not read all 2000+ posts. I got about 300 in and I won't have the time to read through all the rest. What is the peak drinking for this beer? I want it at its best for our wedding reception, which is 12 weeks away. I have everything I need to brew, but need to figure out when. In the posts I did read, it seemed that some thought it was great as young as 4 weeks, and others felt it got better as it aged and was great until the keg tapped at 4-5 months old. I will be kegging, and will be serving this on my jockey box September 17. Please let me know your experience with when this beer is best, include brewing and conditioning time. I'm also brewing a wit, stout, and have a full keg of cider to serve as well.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and had a few questions with this clone. I've been using a similar All Grain clone from a local store. Going to use this recipe and I've always used wyeast 1318 but going to try using 1968. Only thing is, my local store only had the Omega yeast strain for the wyeast 1968. Is that fine and do I have to worry about Diacetyl issues?

Also still a little new to All grain, Only done 6 so far. My extract Zombie Dust is amazing. Since doing All Grain, its always different or not close to the extract taste that I'm used to. What can I be doing wrong?
Thanks

Also still a little new to All grain, Only done 6 so far. My extract Zombie Dust is amazing. Since doing All Grain, its always different or not close to the extract taste that I'm used to. What can I be doing wrong?
Thanks

A lot of things, unfortunately! As an all grain brewer, you really need to either completely understand your equipment or have equipment that allows for a very repeatable process through automation or process. Your mash temps will greatly affect your results, as will your water chemistry, your yeast starter size, your fermentation temperature, etc. Dialing all of these things in and having the ability to repeat a recipe is not an easy thing to master. Since your extract versions have been consistent, I suspect that your mash is where the current issue is, but you never know. Are you hitting your mash temp/PH/etc?

Are you hitting your mash temp/PH/etc?

I just got done cleaning from brewing today. First time adjusting PH levels during mash. Local brew store said dont need to really adjust tap water. I looked into it and bought some tools so i can adjust PH.

Filtered Tap water ph was about 7.45 (Chicago)
Mashed 6.5 gallons for strike water temp 166 degrees.
after stirring and adding Lactic Acid, Got the Ph level to 5.73 at 153 degrees. (before added lactic acid, ph was 6.54)
Fly sparge 2.5 gallons at 172 degrees (very slow. about 45mins)
let set for 60mins and ended with 7 gals at 130 degrees for the boil
followed the recipe for Hop schedule and added Omega Yeast oyl-016 which compares the Wyeast 1968. OG was 1.062

How does that sound?

Ok, so I did not read all 2000+ posts. I got about 300 in and I won't have the time to read through all the rest. What is the peak drinking for this beer? I want it at its best for our wedding reception, which is 12 weeks away. I have everything I need to brew, but need to figure out when. In the posts I did read, it seemed that some thought it was great as young as 4 weeks, and others felt it got better as it aged and was great until the keg tapped at 4-5 months old. I will be kegging, and will be serving this on my jockey box September 17. Please let me know your experience with when this beer is best, include brewing and conditioning time. I'm also brewing a wit, stout, and have a full keg of cider to serve as well.

I don't keg but I would agree that you don't want to age this beer too long. The fresher the better to really let those citra hops shine thru.

I bottle and I usually don't bottle until about 3 weeks after I rack to my fermenter and then I'm usually drinking it about a week after I bottle. :mug:

So what do people suggest for Bittering hops instead of Citra? Simcoe maybe?

I am making a 10G batch of this and wouldn't want a big jug of possible cat pee ;)

The bittering would be the FW only for this receipt?

I am making a 10G batch of this and wouldn't want a big jug of possible cat pee ;)

I made a batch of this using Simcoe for bittering and Citra for everything else, took 3rd place out of 40 for IPA category in a local competition. I highly recommend it!

I just double checked my recipe and it was Simcoe for 60 and 15 minute additions, Citra for everything else.

I've personally made this recipe multiple times and never tasted cat pee, literally hundreds of others on this thread have said that this recipe is fantastic as-is, and I'm certain that tens of thousands of gallons of beer has been home brewed with this recipe. Do you think we all love the taste of cat pee? Why would your 10 gallons be different?

I usually always use columbus for bittering on all pales / ipas including this one with consistent results.

Warrior or Galena would work.

Thanks fellas. I will consider all these.
The thing also is that my go to shop (In Canada, we are not as lucky as our Southern neighbors ;) ) does not currently carry the pound of Citra, so it would cost me 40$ to buy 14ounces of Citra... A pound is much cheaper.

The thing also is that my go to shop (In Canada, we are not as lucky as our Southern neighbors ;) ) does not currently carry the pound of Citra, so it would cost me 40$ to buy 14ounces of Citra... A pound is much cheaper.

Not by much. I just bought a pound in Regina and it was $30...

Where in Canada are you? A lot of the shops in Ontario have lbs of citra.

I've personally made this recipe multiple times and never tasted cat pee, literally hundreds of others on this thread have said that this recipe is fantastic as-is, and I'm certain that tens of thousands of gallons of beer has been home brewed with this recipe. Do you think we all love the taste of cat pee? Why would your 10 gallons be different?

Totally agreed! This beer is on regular rotation at my house and I've always brewed it all Citra including using Citra for the FWH and I've never once thought I was drinking cat pee.

Just finished up my extract clone. I love the taste of cat pee, but this ain't it! :)

It's in the Keezer right meow, 12 psi, I dry hopped 3oz of Citra for 9 days (didn't plan well and was on a 60 hour shift at work. Whoops!).

This beer is just stupid good.

Put this in the Keg yesterday. Just got home from work and had to take a little sip.
Damn this is going to be a good One.

Had some troubles with My lhbs so i got the wrong yeast And then a smacked pack with yeast all over the place. So had to use Nottingham.
Will not be a clone but damn, so far its good

My take on this went into the fermenter Sunday evening. Already smells incredible. Really want this beer to hurry up and finish.

Is 2-row grain the pale ale malt or the pilsen malt?
:confused:

In this recipe, it refers to Pale malt.

You could certainly try Pilsner malt and it would have a different flavour but then you have to be concerned about longer boil for DMS etc and adjust water volumes to account for a longer boil. Throw it into BS or similar and see what you come up with :)

So..Pale malt means pale ale malt in this receipe?
I'm a novice at homebrewing,not familiar with such grain..

2 row is the same as pale malt, pale ale malt is a little different in color. I accidentally ordered pale ale malt when getting my grain and actually really like the flavor. I may try it with pale malt sometime but I'm really digging the screw up.

Brewing this today. Had to make a few substitutions based on what I had available (caramel crystal 10L for the munich malt and carapils for the carafoam. Will also be fermenting with S-05.

I realize this won't be a clone but will it anywhere close?

Brewing this today. Had to make a few substitutions based on what I had available (caramel crystal 10L for the munich malt and carapils for the carafoam. Will also be fermenting with S-05.

I realize this won't be a clone but will it anywhere close?

If you need to use dry yeast, I always preferred S-04 in this one, us05 is to clean.

I'm going to take a stab at brewing this in a couple of weeks. I called my LHBS today and ordered some citra hops. They were also able to order the melanoidin malt for me.

They have German and domestic Munich malt. Which of the two is closer to the "Munich Malt - 10L" that is specified in this recipe?

Finally, they don't have, and can't order, Carafoam. They do have Carapils and Carafa III. Are either of these the same thing, or should I look to order some Carafoam online? It seems like everywhere that has it charges $8-10 for shipping, which is a bummer when I only need $2-3 worth of grain.

I'm going to take a stab at brewing this in a couple of weeks. I called my LHBS today and ordered some citra hops. They were also able to order the melanoidin malt for me.

They have German and domestic Munich malt. Which of the two is closer to the "Munich Malt - 10L" that is specified in this recipe?

Finally, they don't have, and can't order, Carafoam. They do have Carapils and Carafa III. Are either of these the same thing, or should I look to order some Carafoam online? It seems like everywhere that has it charges $8-10 for shipping, which is a bummer when I only need $2-3 worth of grain.

I'd just go with carapils and the Munich probably doesn't matter if it's 10L

Back